Third body recovered at Johnsons Landing landslide
The body of Rachel Webber, 17, was recovered from the Johnsons Landing landslide Wednesday.
The BC Coroners Service resumed the search at the site on Wednesday after concluding the first phase of the operation earlier this week.
“I am very please to report that Webber’s body was recovered [Wednesday night] at 6 p.m.,” said chief coroner Lisa Lapointe on Thursday morning via telephone press conference. “We found her in fairly close proximity to where her father and sister were located.”
The bodies of Valentine and Diana Webber were found last week near their home, but after six days of searches the coroners service took time to reassess the area and how to proceed.
“As we reported earlier this week we will not be revisiting the area of Petra Frehse’s home,” said Lapointe. “The damage in that area was devastating. We determined that there was no meaningful chance of recovery at that site.”
Kaslo search and rescue continued to be on site this week working with the Coroners Service along with local RCMP.
The bodies of Diana and Valentine have been released to their family and the body of Rachel will be released following positive identification.
The Coroners Service will not be returning to the landslide that destroyed Johnsons Landing earlier this month.