UPDATED: Fire damages home on Nelson’s North Shore
A family is safe after fire caused extensive damage to their home on the North Shore in the wee hours of Tuesday morning.
The North Shore Fire Department got the call just after 1 a.m. with three units and 10 members responding says Fred Schneider, chief.
“The owner woke up and heard something. He went outside and saw flames from the chimney,” says Schneider. “He went back in and got all his family out safe. No one was hurt.”
When the fire department arrived, the fire had gone from the chimney to the roof and attic. The fire took down the roof but was contained to the second level of the home. There is extensive water and smoke damage to the rest of the home as well.
“We had the fire under control in one hour and mop up done three hours after that,” says Schneider. His department had help from the Balfour fire department with water haulers and six to seven members attending.
Paul and Natasha Edney own the Middle Road home located off Heddle Road near Six Mile. Everyone, including the couple’s two children and the family’s dog were able to get out safely.
Neighbour Richard Rowberry says the family is currently staying with friends in the Middle Road community.
“They’re in shock but they’re doing fine,” said Rowberry. “They lost a lot of possessions but a lot of important stuff [mementos and photos] was salvaged.”