Waneta Expansion Project leaders

Waneta expansion project hits milestone

Major project west of Nelson completes intake and tunnel excavation portion of task

Partners in the Waneta Expansion Project west of Nelson — Fortis Inc., Columbia Power Corporation, and Columbia Basin Trust — have announced another major milestone has been reached with the substantial completion of intake and tunnel excavation.

“With the excavation portion of the project complete, the Waneta Expansion remains on budget and on schedule for completion in 2015,” said Rich Coleman, Minister of Energy and Mines. “So far this clean energy project has brought $80 million in economic benefits and over 300 jobs to the Columbia Basin.”

The contractor, SNC-Lavalin Inc., has been working hard to complete this excavation work so the concrete linings in the tunnels can begin.

An Italian-made $1 million travelling tunnel form has been assembled onsite and will be key during the concrete lining process. The collapsible steel walls of the form create seamlessly lined tunnels which are engineered to withstand hydrostatic water pressure. The concrete lining will include a high fly ash content to maximize strength and flow efficiency.

“Completion of the intake and tunnel excavation is another milestone for this $900 million project,” said Jane Bird, Columbia Power Corporation president and CEO, speaking on behalf of the Waneta Expansion Project.

In total, over 62,000 cubic metres of rock was removed from the tunnels and adit. Another 78,000 cubic metres of rock and 19,000 cubic metres of overburden were removed from the intake. All of the excavated materials were hauled safely and without major incident. The rock will be available for reuse in future highway and other infrastructure projects in the area.

Other major construction activities onsite include form and concrete work in the powerhouse and service bay areas.

The project is focused on a high standard of safety, quality and environmental protection and is committed to delivering local benefits.

The Waneta Expansion Project is a partnership between Fortis Inc., Columbia Power Corporation, and Columbia Basin Trust. For more information visit columbiapower.org/wanetaexpansion.

 

Just Posted

VIDEO: Happy birthday Kaslo

Village marks 125th birthday with reopening of city hall, sealing of time capsule

Nelson architecture firm to redesign Arrow Lakes Hospital

Cover Architecture Collaborative will work on the hospital’s emergency department

B.C. declares state of emergency as more than 560 wildfires rage

This is only the fourth state of emergency ever issued during a fire season

Nelson council gives next council a raise

Size of increase disregards advice of appointed committee

‘Queen of Soul’ Aretha Franklin has died

Publicist Gwendolyn Quinn reports Franklin passed Thursday at 9:50 a.m. at her home in Detroit

Baloney Meter: is flow of asylum seekers at Canada-U.S. border a ‘crisis’?

“I think any time you have a government that allows 30,000 people over the course of a short period of time to come into Canada illegally, the impact that that has, that is a crisis,” said Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer.

B.C. RCMP say Kinder Morgan protest camp to be dismantled today

RCMP say they will enforce a court injunction today and remove Trans Mountain pipeline protesters who have been camped outside a Kinder Morgan terminal in Burnaby.

Altidore nets 3 as Toronto drubs Whitecaps 5-2

Vancouver falls 7-4 on aggregate in Canadian Championship final

Ottawa intervenes to get B.C. ball player, 13, to Little League World Series

Before immigration issue was resolved, Dio Gama was out practicing the game he loves Wednesday

Pet goldfish invades small B.C. lake

Pinecrest Lake is located between Whistler and Squamish

Mounties deployed to help B.C. communities affected by wildfires

RCMP officers heading to places particularly within central, northern and southern B.C.

Chinese medicine practitioner in B.C. facing historical sex assault charges

71-year old Kit Wong practiced acupuncture from his home during the time of the assaults

Quebec sets aside $900 million for companies hurt by U.S. tariffs

Premier Philippe Couillard says his government will make $863 million available over five years

Most Read