The community of Deer Park as viewed from across Lower Arrow Lake on the Columbia and Western trail.

Deer Park lived up to its name

There is no mystery how this community on the east side of Lower Arrow Lake got its name.



Forty-seventh in an alphabetical series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names

There is no mystery how Deer Park, on the east side of Lower Arrow Lake, got its name.

The earliest known mention is in the Donald Truth of August 18, 1888: “[The Despatch] was then steamed down to Deer Park, where a stop of three hours was made. Some of the passengers went ashore to hunt deer, but all returned empty handed.”

In his 1889 Report on a Portion of of the West Kootanie [sic] District, British Columbia, George M. Dawson noted: “The most attractive and park-like portion of this country is commonly named the Deer Park and is frequented by great numbers of deer, when in winter their higher pastures in the mountains become covered with snow.”

If there was any doubt that deer were in abundance, the Winnipeg Commercial in its Kootenay supplement of July 15, 1892 added: “One of the most remarkable landscape views is that afforded by Deer Park, so called from its attractive and park-like appearance and the fact that it is frequented by a great number of deer.”

Kate Johnson in her book Pioneer Days of Nakusp & Arrow Lakes said Deer Park old-timer Fred Hamblin told her that in the spring “when the deer were low down the mountain, the Indians would take a number of dogs to the hills and turn them loose to chase the deer into the lake.”

In the second edition of the book, Johnson said Col. Eugene S. Topping — Trail’s founding father — laid out the Deer Park townsite along with brothers John, Julius, and S.F. Peterson. Topping bought two thousand acres of land and gave a town lot to anyone who would build a house.

Topping and the Petersons did buy 1,800 acres from the CPR for $37,500 in 1896 but the townsite was not actually surveyed until 1907 by F.G. Green.

For decades Deer Park was accessed exclusively by boat. CPR sternwheelers stopped there until the SS Minto was taken out of service in 1954.

Anthropologist Verne Ray recorded an apparent Sinixt place name — plu’me’ — which he stated was a “a temporary camp on the east side of Lower Arrow Lake near the site of the present Deer Park.” However, he provided no translation and ethnographers Randy Bouchard and Dorothy Kennedy didn’t recognize it.

The Deer Park post office operated from 1897-1967, until it was flooded out by construction of the High Arrow dam. The community’s cemetery is now underwater, although a plaque in the Robson cemetery lists 31 people buried there.

Today Deer Park is an isolated community 38 km northwest of Castlegar, accessed by gravel road beyond Syringa Creek Provincial Park, with many summer homes, but only a few full-time residents. It’s still attractive and park-like — in fact a new regional park is being established there.

Previous installments in this series

Introduction

Ainsworth

Alamo

Anaconda

Annable, Apex, and Arrow Park

Annable, revisited

Appledale

Applegrove, Appleby, and Appledale revisited

Argenta and Arrowhead

Aylwin

Bakers, Birds, and Bosun Landing

Balfour

Bannock City, Basin City, and Bear Lake City

Beasley

Beaton

Bealby Point

Bealby Point (aka Florence Park) revisited

Belford and Blewett

Beaverdell and Billings

Birchbank and Birchdale

Blueberry and Bonnington

Boswell, Bosworth, Boulder Mill, and Broadwater

Brandon

Brilliant

Brooklyn, Brouse, and Burnt Flat

Burton

Camborne, Cariboo City, and Carrolls Landing

Carmi, Cedar Point, Circle City, and Clark’s Camp

Carson, Carstens, and Cascade City

Casino and Champion Creek

Castlegar, Part 1

Castlegar, Part 2

Castlegar, Part 3

Christina Lake

Christina City and Christian Valley

Clubb Landing and Coltern

Cody and Champion Creek revisited

Champion Creek revisited, again

Columbia

Columbia City, Columbia Gardens, and Columbia Park

Comaplix

Cooper Creek and Corra Linn

Crawford Bay and Comaplix revisited

Crescent Valley and Craigtown

Davenport

Dawson, Deadwood, and Deanshaven

Just Posted

Police ask city for $100K budget increase

The extra money is needed to cover salary costs

Nelson firefighter wage negotiations in year six

Firefighting is an essential service, so strikes are illegal

EcoSociety asks city to become 100 per cent renewable

The plan would have Nelson ditch fossil fuels by 2050

Finding support at Community Connect

The 10th annual event offered free services, clothing and food on Saturday

RDCK calls for reversal of Sinixt extinction

The board opposed a land transfer to the Westbank First Nation this week

Earthquake gently rocks Nelson to sleep

Did you feel the earthquake? (Probably not)

RDCK holds open house on proposed boat launch

RDCK hosted an open house at Blewett Elementary to discuss plans for a boat launch at Taghum Beach

LVR Bombers volleyball team off to provincials

The senior girls’ squad secured a spot with a win over Trail last week

Winter kicks off in Nelson

Over 30 events are set to celebrate the snowy season

Man pleads guilty to Leafs recycling depot theft

Dezmond Waggoner had been charged with theft over $5,000

B.C. family advocating for drug decriminalization following death of son

Federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh has noted the New Democrats would decriminalize personal possession of all drugs

Most Read