Okay everyone, it’s time to get your Mo on and show the world that you care about fighting one of our fiercest killers — cancer.
The Kootenay Army for Men’s Health is bringing Nelson its very first Movember Extravaganza.
They are a group of local individuals, male and female, who have come together under the banner of Movember Canada to raise money and awareness for men’s health issues, specifically cancers affecting men.
Cancer is the leading cause of death in men and in 2011 there will be more cases of prostate cancer diagnosed than breast cancer.
Movember Canada is part of a worldwide movement that has helped to raise millions of dollars dedicated to cancer research.
Last year nearly 119,000 Canadian Mo Bros and Mo Sistas joined this event that is rapidly gaining momentum to raise $22.3 million.
As a Mo Bro you will effectively become a walking, talking billboard for the 30 days of November. Through your actions and words, you will help to raise awareness by prompting private and public conversation around the often ignored issue of men’s health.
If you want to join the fight to stop cancer, and have some fun doing it, here’s what to do:
• Register yourself or a team at Movember.com
• On November 1, start with a clean-shaven face.
• For the rest of the month, groom, trim and wax your way into the annals of fine moustachery.
• Raise funds by seeking out sponsorship for your mo-growing efforts.
• Join the community of Mo Bros and Mo Sistas at the Movember Extravaganza on November 30 at the Royal.
Prizes will be awarded for Best Team Mo, Miss Movember, the Mo Money Award — for most funds raised, and the coveted Man of Movember.
For more information visit the Kootenay Army for Men’s Health Facebook page.