Rock bluff

Inonoaklin versus Fire Valley

The Inonoaklin or Fire Valley, on the west side of Lower Arrow Lake, above Edgewood, has a complicated naming history.

Ninety-third in a series on West Kootenay/Boundary place names

The Inonoaklin or Fire Valley, on the west side of Lower Arrow Lake, above Edgewood, has a complicated naming history.

Inonoaklin is also the name of a creek, mountain, and park. The creek first shows up on J.W. Trutch’s 1871 map of BC as “Inonoaklin R.” (Supposedly explorer Alexander Caulfield Anderson mentioned it on his 1867 map as well.)

The Geographic Board of Canada officially adopted the name Inonoaklin Creek in 1904, choosing it over the alternative Sanderson Creek, and at the same time endorsed Fire Valley.

The Nelson Daily News of Oct. 21, 1952 claimed “Inonoaklin means ‘wandering’ and describes the river of that name which empties into the Arrow Lakes here.”

In the second edition of her Pioneer Days of Nakusp and Arrow Lakes (1964), Kate Johnson stated that Inonoaklin means “winding waters.”

However, Randy Bouchard and Dorothy Kennedy wrote in Lakes Indian Ethnography and History (1985), “Presumably Inonoaklin is the Anglicization of an Indian term, but we do not recognize it.”

The stream was labelled Fire Valley Creek on an 1890 survey plan.

The earliest known newspaper mention of that name is in the Vancouver Daily World of April 14, 1890: “Mr. Coryell, C.E., is surveying in the neighborhood of Fire Valley with the object of getting an easy pass over the divide for the line of the Kootenay and Okanagan Railway …”

As to the origin of Fire Valley, the BC Minister of Mines report for 1901 said it was “so called from the fact that a fire swept up the valley and killed all the trees on both hillsides,” but didn’t give the date of the fire.

Rose Wright elaborated in the Arrow Lakes News of June 19, 1958: “[L]egend has it was so named by the Indians who, from down the Columbia, made fishing and hunting trips up the river and lake each year. On one particular trip they found the whole valley on fire. A gigantic forest fire stretched from Killarney in a crescent shape, ending at Needles.”

Another theory suggests red granite surrounding the valley might have been the name’s origin.

An application for the Fire Valley post office was filed in 1893, but it didn’t open until almost a year later. In 1906, the post office was renamed Needles, although it’s unclear whether it actually moved. The name reverted to Fire Valley in 1908 when a new Needles post office was established. The Fire Valley post office closed in 1930.

According to the book Just Where is Edgewood, “In 1926 the valley name was changed from Fire Valley to Inonoaklin Valley … Some farmers felt the name Fire Valley was a deterrent to getting new settlers. They were instrumental in having that name changed.”

L.J. Edwards of Nakusp criticized the move in the Slocan Enterprise of May 21, 1930: “Would it not have been much more appropriate and certainly more euphonious and most certainly easier spelling than the atrocious name applied to Fire Valley, with its pioneering history, in recent years by newcomers who had no hand in that history?”

His letter brought an anonymous rebuttal the following week: “The change of name was only made after long discussion at the local Women’s and Farmers’ Institutes, and I only heard one old timer object to it and I might remind Mr. Edwards that people in glass houses shouldn’t throw stones, as I fail to see where Nakusp sounds nearly as euphonious as Inonoaklin.”

The same correspondent added in the Arrow Lakes News on June 1: “[W]e are a little bit sensitive at anyone poking fun at such a pretty name as Inonoaklin which name is derived from the Indian meaning ‘winding river.’ Mr. Edwards asks what harm can a name like Fire Valley do? Well the gentleman who first suggested changing the name was Mr. J.B. Munro, the present deputy minister of agriculture who at a largely attended meeting of the inhabitants of Fire Valley, told them that the only thing wrong with the valley was the name, which gave everybody acquainted with the place the impression that it was devastated by fire and no good for anything and that was the prevailing idea at Victoria and other places …”

Today you’ll still hear both names, but Inonaoklin is much more common.

Previous installments in this series





Annable, Apex, and Arrow Park

Annable, revisited


Applegrove, Appleby, and Appledale revisited

Argenta and Arrowhead


Bakers, Birds, and Bosun Landing


Bannock City, Basin City, and Bear Lake City



Bealby Point

Bealby Point (aka Florence Park) revisited

Belford and Blewett

Beaverdell and Billings

Birchbank and Birchdale

Blueberry and Bonnington

Boswell, Bosworth, Boulder Mill, and Broadwater



Brooklyn, Brouse, and Burnt Flat


Camborne, Cariboo City, and Carrolls Landing

Carmi, Cedar Point, Circle City, and Clark’s Camp

Carson, Carstens, and Cascade City

Casino and Champion Creek

Castlegar, Part 1

Castlegar, Part 2

Castlegar, Part 3

Christina Lake

Christina City and Christian Valley

Clubb Landing and Coltern

Cody and Champion Creek revisited

Champion Creek revisited, again


Columbia City, Columbia Gardens, and Columbia Park


Cooper Creek and Corra Linn

Crawford Bay and Comaplix revisited

Crescent Valley and Craigtown


Dawson, Deadwood, and Deanshaven

Deer Park

East Arrow Park and Edgewood


English Cove and English Point



Evans Creek and Evansport

Falls City




Ferguson, revisited


Forslund, Fosthall, and Fairview

Fort Shepherd vs. Fort Sheppard, Part 1

Fort Shepherd vs. Fort Sheppard, Part 2

Fort Sheppard, revisited

Fraser’s Landing and Franklin


Fruitvale and Fraine

Galena Bay



Gilpin and Glade

Gladstone and Gerrard, revisited

Glendevon and Graham Landing

Gloster City

Goldfields and Gold Hill

Grand Forks, Part 1

Grand Forks, Part 2

Granite Siding and Granite City

Gray Creek, Part 1

Gray Creek, Part 2

Gray Creek, revisited

Green City


Halcyon Hot Springs

Hall Siding and Healy’s Landing


Hartford Junction


Howser, Part 1

Howser, Part 2

Howser, Part 3

Howser, Part 4

Hudu Valley, Huntingtdon, and Healy’s Landing revisited

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Man dies in backcountry near Whitewater Ski Resort

The victim was found unresponsive in a tree well Friday

Prominent Slocan Valley environmental activist dies

Marilyn Burgoon was ‘tough and determined’

Nelson Leafs split weekend games in Princeton, Grand Forks

The Leafs lost to the Posse but routed the Border Bruins

Ktunaxa, supporters celebrate protection of Qat’muk and the Jumbo valley

Speeches, acknowledgements and ceremonies mark an emotional gathering in Cranbrook

Jumbo Valley to be protected, ending decades-long dispute over proposed ski resort

Development rights permanently retired for site of proposed year-round ski resort west of Invermere

Alberta bulldog breeder ordered to give refund to B.C. buyer due to puppy’s behaviour

Tribunal ruled a verbal agreement to send a new dog superseded the written contract

Cariboo Memorial Hospital back to normal after cold weather wreaks havoc

Burst pipes and water leaks cause three different incidents

Dog reunited with Tofino owner, months after being taken from beach

Shannon Boothman ‘ecstatic’ at pet’s return after a tip leads to social media search

Huawei exec’s extradition hearing begins in Canada

China’s foreign ministry complained the United States and Canada were violating Meng’s rights

Prince Harry: ‘Powerful media’ is why he’s stepping away

Prince Harry and Megan have stepped away from their royal commitments

How to beat Blue Monday, the most depressing day of the year

Multiple factors can play a role in seasonal depression, says Fraser Health psychiatrist

B.C. VIEWS: Few clouds on Horgan’s horizon

Horgan’s biggest challenge in the remainder of his term will be to keep the economy humming along

Victoria family focuses on ‘letting go, enjoying time together’ after dad gets dementia

Walter Strauss has developed an interest in music and now takes line dancing classes

Most Read