The 561 Nelson Osprey Squadron, Royal Canadian Air Cadets held their 69th annual ceremonial review on May 25.
City councillor and acting mayor Cal Renwick presumed as the reviewing officer over the evening with 16 cadets on parade and awards handed out. Those honours included:
• Best Attendance: Flight Sergeant Natt MacIntosh presented by Ms. Dianne Egan
• Top Rookie: Leading Air Cadet Charlotte Faragher presented by Major Nils French
• Nelson Rotary Club Top Shot Trophy: Sergeant Brooke Sonnichsen presented by CWO Sharman Thomas
• Top Shot Junior Cadet: Leading Air Cadet Charlotte Faragher presented by Mr. Bill Haire – Royal Canadian Legion
• P.A.I.N.N. Award-Nethercote Family – Nelson Police Association best dress and deportment: Sergeant Ashley Sonnichsen presented by Police Chief Donovan Fisher
• Best Drill: Sergeant Brooke Sonnichsen presented by Mr. Jim Lewall
• Nelson Kinsmen Most Improved Male Trophy: Flight Sergeant Natt MacIntosh presented by Mr. Cal Renwick
• Salmo Legion Most Improved Female Trophy: Corporal Elle Faragher presented by Mrs Marg Paul
Nelson Air Cadets will start their 2022-2023 training on Sept. 7. More information can be found on the squadron’s web page www.nelsonaircadets.ca or their Facebook page at www.facebook.com/561NelsonOspreyAirCadets/.
Next year will be 561’s 70th year giving the youth of Nelson the unique experiences of the air cadet program. Since the squadron was formed in 1952, hundreds of youth have been a member of 561. The squadron will be holding several events during the year to celebrate its history in Nelson.
The squadron always welcomes new cadets who are between the ages of 12 and 18. You can start your application at https://app.cadets.gc.ca/cadet-registration/get-started.html.
Adults who would like to volunteer with squadron are also welcome.