The Nelson Professional Firefighters Association, Local 1343, drew the winners of their annual fundraising raffle at the Nelson station this afternoon.
The fundraising efforts, which included auxiliary members of Nelson Fire Rescue Services, raised $10,000. The funds will be split equally between three charities: local Nelson Cares Society for their Room to Live campaign, the BC Professional Fire Fighters Burn Fund, and Muscular Dystrophy Canada, which firefighters have supported for 60 years.
n the past, each of the ten professional firefighters on staff have donated $1,000 to the burn fund to support a new facility under construction in the Lower Mainland. Patton said the facility will serve as a hospice house as well as an administration and research centre.
“Everyone did a lot of work,” said Patton, including charitable committee members Rick Maida and Greg Proctor. Six prizes were up for grabs, all made available by local businesses.
The winners are:
1. Casey Zeeman, Balfour-2015 Polaris 400cc Sportsman ETX ATV ($6699 value) from Main Jet Motor Sports
2. Gabriel Kobel, Balfour-Gift certificate for $1000 from Valhalla Pure Outfitters
3. Kevin McKernan, Nelson-50″ LED TV ($800 value) from Sears
4. Clint Carlson, Kaslo-Pungo Kayak and Expedition paddle ($850 value) from ROAM
5. Ileen Voykin, Castlegar- Two nights, with food and beverages, and an Aura Spa package ($700 value) from the Hume Hotel
6. Julionna Arnett, Nelson- Bosch 18v Cordless drill/driver kit ($430 value) from Nelson Home Hardware