Spring days sometimes bring smoky skies as residents burn grass and brush throughout the region.
The Regional District of Central Kootenay doesn’t have burning bylaws. However, residents living in municipalities are advised to check with their city and village halls to determine if they have burning bylaws, restrictions and permits.
Residents who decide to have open fires are urged to burn them responsibly and keep the following points in mind:
• The type of material to be burned (do not burn plastics and other toxic/noxious materials, only organic materials);
• the size of the area to be burned;
• wind direction and strength;
• establish fuel/fire breaks;
• have fire suppression(sprinklers, hoses);
• make sure the fire is monitored at all times; make sure that the fire is extinguished;
• if a fire spreads beyond control, contact your local fire department.
For more information on regulations, restrictions, responsible burning and air quality, visit: