Second Coldest Night of the Year walk planned

Nelson CARES Society is eager to see hundreds of community members participate in the second annual Coldest Night of the Year.

Everyone who registers for this year’s Coldest Night of the Year walk will receive a free toque.

On Saturday, Feb. 20, Nelson CARES Society is eager to see hundreds of community members participate in the second annual Coldest Night of the Year.

A walk for the homeless, hungry, and hurting, Coldest Night is an opportunity for the community to come together to raise awareness around homelessness. This 2/5/10 km non-competitive walk will have some rest stops along the way and a warm bowl of chili at the end. At the heart of the event, is recognizing the importance of sustainable, affordable living and working toward real change in Nelson to end homelessness. Proceeds from the event will go towards Nelson CARES’ Room to Live campaign, a renewal project for Ward St. Place.

“We aim to raise $30,000,” said event coordinator Beth Seed. “We live in a very active, generous community and anticipate seeing a great deal of people getting behind this event to help us reach our goal. It will be a cold wintry walk, and a good opportunity to think of others who don’t have a safe reliable roof over their head each night.”

Last year’s first Coldest Night was successful on many levels. “We saw over 350 members of the community take to the streets in support of the Room to Live campaign and together, we surpassed our goal. That’s pretty special in a small community like Nelson and we couldn’t be more proud,” said Seed.

The overall goal of the Room to Live Campaign is to raise another $250,000 to complete the project. Ward St.Place (567 Ward St.) is a 102-year-old building and one of the only low-income housing blocks in the region. It is home to people living in poverty and those who have escaped homelessness. Nelson CARES receives no public funding to operate the building and serves the region’s most vulnerable citizens.

“We feel honoured to have had such an incredible amount of support last year and we encourage local groups and individuals to join us again this year,” Seed said. “A stable roof over our head is often something we take for granted. Many of us are struggling to make ends meet and we can be only one illness or injury away from being able to keep our roof over our head.”

The funds raised from last years walk secured the restoration of two rooms at Ward St. Place.

Get your family, friends and co-workers together, build a team or walk on your own. There is a $25 registration fee, but if you raise $150 or more, that fee is waived. All registered walkers will receive a free toque. To registered or get involved as a volunteer or sponsor, visit coldestnightoftheyear.org/nelson or contact Seed at beth@nelsoncares.ca or 250-551-5092.

Just Posted

PHOTOS: L.V. Rogers sends off its grad class

Check out our pictures of the festivities

Nine fires burning in West Kootenay

All fires considered to be lightning caused.

Castlegar mayor releases FCM itinerary

Bruno Tassone delivers promised report on activities at Quebec City municipal conference

COLUMN: 1919 – Police chief reminds drivers of streetcar etiquette

Greg Scott takes us back to a century ago in the files of the Nelson Daily News

Nelson archers host meet

The Nelson Rod and Gun Club hosted 78 archers

10 facts about Father’s Day

Did you know that the special day for dads was first celebrated in 1910?

Bombers down B.C. Lions 33-23 in season opener

Former Lion Andrew Harris leads Winnipeg with 148 rushing yards

Northern B.C. family remembers murdered Indigenous woman with memorial walk

Still no closure for Ramona Wilson’s family 25 years later

B.C. university to offer mentorship program for former youth in care

Students using the provincial tuition waiver program will soon be able to form a community at KPU

You might not know these B.C. records are public

Hired a lawyer to file a civil claim? Those are published online

B.C. bus driver loses case to get job back after texting while driving full bus

An arbitator ruled that Tim Wesman’s phone usage was a “a reckless disregard for public safety”

Revamped B.C. Lions set to battle veteran Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Lions’ first test of the season will be a big one

No business case for Trans Mountain expansion, says former environment minister

Cabinet is expected to announce its decision on the expansion of the Alberta-to-B.C. pipeline by Tuesday

LETTER: British Columbia’s forest industry crisis being made worse

Andrew Wilkinson warns of regulatory overload by John Horgan’s NDP

Most Read