After three months of intense and exciting learning on the Selkirk College Tenth Street campus in Nelson, students in the contemporary music and technology program are preparing to let loose at a semester-ending show and are inviting the community along for the ride.
The annual Semester End Celebration Show takes place at Nelson’s Spiritbar in the Hume Hotel and is the perfect send-off for the holiday break. Five different ensemble student bands will take the stage on Dec. 12 where they are joined by a member of the faculty for a night of eclectic music.
“Our ensembles are an important part of the training and education that students get in the program,” says instructor Laura Landsberg, who started the annual semester-ending event in 2004. “This is a night when we invite the community to come check out the amazing talents of our students. Everybody has been working so hard over the last few months and the energy in the Spiritbar is always incredible.”
Here’s a rundown of what is in store for the Spiritbar stage:
• Option Purple is no cover band. This dynamic group plays heartfelt, stirring original songs written and arranged exclusively by its members: Cal Leiterman-Gabura on vocals and guitar; Grace Clark on vocals, keyboard, and violin; Tom McIsaac on guitar and vocals; Tristan Shears on guitar; Duncan Shury on vocals and bass; Ryan Palm on vocals and drums; and, instructor and head tambourinist Melody Diachun.
• The Don Mayer Band pays tribute to the chart-topping hits of living legend and guitar god John Mayer. With Jonah Morris and Moe Yoshida on vocals; A.J. Cunanan and Ellyse Assen on guitars; Devin Gestrin on drums; Robert Dumas on bass; and instructor Don Macdonald on keys, sax, and background vocals, this band performs with top-notch style and energy.
• Nina and the Soul Kids will be letting loose to some seriously funky soul tunes. It features Katie Keeling, Alisa Louise and Instructor Laura Landsberg providing powerful and sassy vocals. The masters of the groove will feature Bryce Harrison and Zach Thompson handling guitar duties, James Still on bass and Alex Eherenman on drums. A perfect mix of throwback and current hits from Earth Wind and Fire to Lianne La Havas, this band is sure to get you grabbing your friends and heading to the dance floor. Sequins mandatory.
• EXIII Smoov Edition brings it to the dance floor with a rare mix of bumpin’ grooves and banger moves. Contemporary pop-soul-retro-future-chill featuring: Alexanne Soble and Diana Uglov on vocals; AJ Cunanan on drums; Dean Bass on what his name says; Ryan O’Gorman and Mike Labelle on guitar; Siji Olunuga and instructor Havelock John Tucker on keyboard. Get on up and boogie down.
• The Blues Cruze take you on an old school ride through classic R&B hits to new soul favorites. With Alethia Stafford and Robbie Turnbull vocals, Aden Goterzen drums, Riley Stewart and Nathan Blacklock on guitar, Issac Cameron on piano, Max Smeltzer on sax, and Instructor Mark Spielman bass.
Tickets for the Semester End Celebration Show at Spiritbar in Nelson’s Hume Hotel will be available at the door with all proceeds going towards student scholarships. Doors open at 8:30 p.m. with the first band taking the stage at 9 p.m.