Nelson Fire Rescue Service would like to remind the community that as cooler weather has moved into the region our furnaces

Take care of your furnace, fireplace and stove

Nelson Fire Rescue Service reminds people to maintain their heat sources as they work harder in cold weather.

Nelson Fire Rescue Service would like to remind the community that as cooler weather has moved into the region our furnaces, fireplaces and stoves are working harder to keep our homes and businesses warm and that steps should be taken to ensure they are in good working order.

This includes making sure furnaces and furnace filters are clean and fresh air intakes are not obstructed as well as fireplace and stove flues and chimneys are clean so as to limit the amount of soot or creosote build-up that may ignite within the chimney potentially causing a fire in the chimney chase or attic space. Remember to keep additional heating devices such as portable electrical heaters free and clear of combustibles and to not leave them unattended.

Although candles are pleasant they can cause serious fires that spread very quickly. Never leave a burning candle unattended.

The fire department reminds everyone that “Smoke Detectors Save Lives” so make sure you have working smoke detectors near rooms where people may sleep and that you test your smoke detectors to ensure they are working properly. They also strongly encourage the use of carbon monoxide detectors, especially if your home has a wood burning fireplace or stove.

Nelson Fire Rescue wishes everyone a happy and safe New Year.