'The Gryphon Trio is one of the best ensembles in the world

The Gryphon Trio opens Nelson Overture Concerts series

The Gryphon Trio’s program will consist of Beethoven’s “Ghost” Trio, Michael Oesterle’s “Centennials,” and Mendelssohn Trio in D minor.

The Nelson Overture Concerts Society is setting the bar high, starting off its 58th season by bringing to Nelson the internationally acclaimed piano trio ­— The Gryphon Trio.

Celebrating its 20th anniversary this year, the Gryphon Trio has impressed international audiences and the press with its highly-refined, dynamic performances and has firmly established itself as one of the world’s preeminent piano trios. With a repertoire that ranges from the traditional to the contemporary and from European classicism to modern-day multimedia, the Gryphons are striving to redefine chamber music for the 21st century.

Deeply committed to the education of the next generations of audiences and performers alike, the Gryphons take time out of their busy touring schedule to conduct master classes and workshops at universities and conservatories across North America, and are artists-in-residence at the University of Toronto’s Faculty of Music.

Last month, it was announced that The Gryphon Trio had won the $30,000 Walter Carsen Prize for Excellence in the Performing Arts for 2013. The Walter Carsen Prize, administered and presented by the Canada Council for the Arts, recognizes the highest level of artistic excellence and distinguished career achievement by Canadian artists who have spent the major part of their career in Canada in dance, theatre or music.

For their Nelson audience, The Gryphon Trio’s program will consist of Beethoven’s “Ghost” Trio, Op. 70 #1 — second in fame only to the “Archduke” — as well as, award winning Canadian composer Michael Oesterle’s “Centennials,” and the famous Mendelssohn Trio in D minor.

The Gryphon Trio will perform at the Capitol Theatre, Thursday, October 24 at 7:30 p.m. Tickets are available at capitoltheatre.bc.ca or by phoning 250-352-6363 and are $24 for adults, $14 for students. Students from schools that participate in the NOCS School Outreach Program can access tickets free of charge.

Just Posted

Nelson Women’s March joins others across globe

The event was held to promote equality and an end to violence against women

Born 1 pound, 11 ounces, Winlaw premature baby comes home

Indra Greaves was born at the Nelson hospital after just 24 weeks of gestation

Leafs stretch winning streak to 8 games

Nelson downed Grand Forks 5-2 on Friday

RDCK moves ahead with Castlegar rec complex upgrade plan

Board approves grant application for $13 million from provincial, federal governments

Cottonwood Lake preservation group surpasses $50,000 fundraising goal

In 28 days, 393 donors have contributed to the fund

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read