Mark Bray’s scheduled lecture in Nelson was cancelled due to weather problems in the United States. File photo

LETTER: Planned Mir Centre lecture would have been constructive

Chance missed to explore some important issues

I would like to respond to Dan Metzger’s letter (Star, March 20) where he expressed concerns about the Mir Centre extending an invitation to historian, Mark Bray to speak at its lecture series. I can appreciate Mr. Metzger’s concerns about whether Mark Bray’s work threatens free speech, yet I am also confident this lecture would have provided a healthy forum for exploring this and other important debates.

I believe this lecture would have revealed valuable research and critical analysis on key questions that are so fundamental to democracy, especially at this exact historical moment. Questions such as when does free speech turn into hate speech and when does hate speech actually put people’s lives in danger? Is violence in self-defense justified, especially when it appears that authorities are unable or unwilling to protect people of colour and minorities? Just how serious is the threat of fascism in our current political landscape? Moreover, how can we use non-violent means to address these issues effectively?

Furthermore, the question as to whether violence in self-defense is a legitimate response to racial violence is an important one. More so when the state itself appears apathetic in its handling of violent attacks on people of colour and minorities. However, to ask these questions does not equal a Mir Centre endorsement of Antifa or Dr. Bray.

Accordingly, Bray claims that Antifa only uses violence in situations of self-defense and that constitutes about 3% of what they do. He further claims that the other 97% of their work focuses on destabilizing far-right networks through non-violent means. Bray’s work is also well-researched and forms the basis of his PhD thesis (Rutgers U.). I cannot confirm or deny the validity of other claims about what Antifa is and what it isn’t, but I do know that Bray’s work has been peer-reviewed and his research has been held to a high standard.

It’s unfortunate that nature prevented this lecture from taking place as I know it would have promised a constructive forum to explore some of the most important questions and pressing issues we are facing today.

Cara-Lee Malange,

Nelson

Just Posted

VIDEO: Hunchback of Notre Dame: relevant to today’s world

Nelson’s Capitol Theatre youth theatre production runs July 26, 27, and 28

Wildfires erupt in B.C. Okanagan forcing evacuation orders and a highway closure

Check out a list of up-to-date information on blazes happening within the Kamloops Wildfire Centre.

COLUMN: Blending art flicks with the rent payers

The Civic Theatre’s Eleanor Stacey on how theatre’s rely on charity

Watch art come to life at ArtWalk

The second art showcase opens July 27 in Nelson

VIDEO: Trudeau shuffles familiar faces, adds new ones to expanded cabinet

Justin Trudeau shuffles his front bench Wednesday to install the roster of ministers that will be entrusted with leading the Liberal team into next year’s election.

Wildfire evacuation order forces bride to search for new wedding venue

Fitzpatrick Family Vineyards is under an order due to the Mount Eneas wildfire south of Peachland

Recent online kitten abuse video raises serious social media questions

UBC and UFV profs weigh in on the subject of online sharing, shaming, and our digital landscape

RV insurance costs $1,000 more in B.C. than in Alberta: taxpayers group

Canadian Taxpayers Federation is urging the provincial government to open up ICBC to competition

Summerland issues State of Local Emergency in response to wildfire

Two homes under evacuation order; evacuation alert remains in place as result of wildfire

A brother’s determination pushes B.C. cyclist to ride 2,500 km for heart care

#Cunnycan: Ryan Cunningham ‘pushing the envelope’ to support brother Craig’s foundation

B.C. hockey coach, nurse was killed in case of mistaken identity, police say

In Surrey, Paul Bennett’s wife makes a tearful plea for help in finding her husband’s killer

Lower Mainland blueberry farms expect solid season

Blueberry Council of B.C. says season will be better than last year

B.C. to add hundreds of taxis, delays Uber, Lyft-style service again

Ride hailing companies have to wait until fall of 2019 to apply for licences

Most Read