Guests trying to cook food with a gas stove started a small fire at a downtown hotel Monday evening, the Nelson fire department reports.
“One occupant received burns to his right hand and was taken to hospital by friends” after the blaze just before 7 p.m. in a room at Mountain Hound Inn, 621 Baker St., stated a Nelson Fire & Rescue Services press release.
“Upon arrival of the first crew, the front desk staff had evacuated the building and reported the fire had been extinguished with a dry chemical extinguisher,” the release continued, adding, “The occupants of the room were attempting to cook food with a white camping gas outdoor stove and spilled some fuel, which ignited materials in the room.”
NFRS crews confirmed the fire had been extinguished and that damage was contained to one hotel room.
Guests who had been evacuated were able to return after about 90 minutes.
Nelson fire department stated the incident is a “reminder to everyone to never use outdoor cooking appliances or BBQ’s designed for outdoor use inside any buildings. There is a high risk of fire and/or CO2 poisoning when using outdoor cooking appliances in a building.”
The call was the 238th to the Nelson Fire and Rescue so far in 2018.