Bring a little winter warmth to those in need with Valhalla Pure Outfitters’ fifth annual Coats for the Koots this month.
Launched to give back to the Nelson community, the initiative collects and distributes clean, gently used coats and other winter clothing for children and adults.
“The response has been outstanding and it’s grown every year,” says Sam Baio, manager of Nelson’s Valhalla Pure Outfitters. “We collected 125 coats in Year 1, and we’ve had 150 to 200 coats every year since.”
- Make a difference. Whether it’s a single parent trying to keep a growing child warm or a senior without a winter jacket, the need in the community is real. Baio and his team are inspired every year by the generosity of spirit and donations, and the impact they make. “I have had people in the community who we’ve outfitted with some of these coats crying with sincere gratitude,” he reflects. “And our donors feel wonderful knowing how much they can help by donating something they no longer wear.”
- Clear your closet for a cause. While many are fortunate to have more than one warm winter coat, too many have none. “We’d love people to have a look and if they have a coat they only wear once or twice each winter, maybe pass it along to someone who will wear it every day,” Baio suggests. “We can’t do it without you!”
- Keep it local. At the heart of Coats for Koots is the local impact – neighbours helping neighbours. Donations are distributed during Nelson’s Community Connect Day Nov. 18 and through local shelters and other non-profit organizations. Because they connect with so many people during Community Connect Day, the more donations received before Nov. 18, the better, but staff will happily collect throughout November.
- Win and save! As a thank you to the community’s generosity, anyone making a donation receives an draw entry for an Aruna Jacket from Marmot, plus $25 off a new jacket at regular price.
- Spread the joy. Challenge your community to make donating fun. One local office held an internal collection drive, then brought a giant box of collected clothing to the store. When they won the draw for the new Marmot jacket, they turned around and raffled it at their staff Christmas party. How can you turn winter giving into something bigger?
“At Valhalla Pure, we dream of outfitting everyone for their adventures outdoors and in the mountains,” Baio says. “With your help, you can make this dream come true!”
Drop donations at Nelson’s Valhalla Pure Outfitters on Baker Street.