It’s not unusual for Sam Baio to have a visit from someone overcome with gratitude after receiving a Coats for the Koots donation.
Launched by Valhalla Pure Outfitters six years ago as a way to give back to the Nelson community, the initiative collects and distributes clean, gently used coats and other winter clothing for local children and adults.
“I have had people in the community who we’ve outfitted with some of these coats crying with sincere gratitude,” he reflects.
He also hears more and more from locals eagerly awaiting the coming year’s Coats for the Koots – an easy way to bring a little winter warmth to neighbours in need.
“It’s definitely gaining momentum and people start asking about it once the weather gets a little cooler,” Baio says. “Our donors feel wonderful knowing how much they can help by donating something they no longer wear.”
- Make a difference. Whether it’s a single parent trying to keep a growing child warm or a senior without a winter jacket, the need in the community is real. Baio and his team are inspired every year by the generosity of spirit and donations, and the impact they make. “The response has been outstanding and it’s grown every year,” says the manager of Nelson’s Valhalla Pure Outfitters. “We collected 125 coats in Year 1, and we’re now collecting more than 200 coats every year!”
- Clear your closet for a cause. While many are fortunate to have more than one warm winter coat, too many in the community have none. “We’d love people to have a look and if they have a coat they only wear once or twice each winter, maybe pass it along to someone who will wear it every day,” Baio suggests. “We can’t do it without you!”
- Keep it local. At the heart of Coats for Koots is the local impact – neighbours helping neighbours. Donations are distributed during Nelson’s Community Connect Day Nov. 17 and through local shelters and other non-profit organizations. Because they connect with so many people during Community Connect Day, the more donations received before Nov. 17, the better, but staff will happily collect throughout November.
- Win and save! As a thank you for the community’s generosity, anyone making a donation receives a draw entry for a Marmot jacket, plus $25 off a new jacket at regular price!
- Spread the joy. Challenge your community to make donating fun. One local office held an internal collection drive, then brought a giant box of collected clothing to the store. When they won the draw for the new Marmot jacket, they turned around and raffled it at their staff Christmas party. How can you turn winter giving into something bigger?
“At Valhalla Pure, we dream of outfitting everyone for their adventures outdoors and in the mountains,” Baio says. “With your help, you can make this dream come true!”
Drop donations at Nelson’s Valhalla Pure Outfitters on Baker Street.