UPDATED: Canadians in London urged to exercise caution in wake of bridge attack

British media report more than one person dead after pedestrians hit on London Bridge

TORONTO – Canadian officials were monitoring developments in the deadly terrorist attack in London Saturday night, urging Canadian citizens in the British capital to avoid the area.

Police said six people died and 20 were injured in the attacks, while police shot dead three suspects.

The Metropolitan Police head of counter-terrorism, Mark Rowley, said police believe all of the attackers were killed, but investigations are underway to ensure there are no more.

“Awful news from London tonight,” tweeted Prime Minister Justin Trudeau who was scheduled to attend the annual Parliamentary Press Gallery dinner in Ottawa Saturday night.

“Horrified by the events in London,” Conservative leader Andrew Scheer said in a tweet. “Canada will always stand by the people of London.”

“Our hearts are heavy with news of the violence in London today. To the people of Britain: you are in our thoughts and prayers,” Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne tweeted.

Canadian diplomats in England were advising Canadians to avoid the area around London Bridge and the nearby Borough Market until the areas were deemed safe.

Police rushed to London Bridge late Saturday after a vehicle mowed down pedestrians on the bridge. Gunshots rang out amid reports of knife attacks at Borough Market.

The force initially said officers were also responding to a reported third incident, in the Vauxhall area of London. But they said later that turned out to be an unrelated stabbing.

The violence turned a pleasant Saturday night in an area full of bars and restaurants into a scene of panic and chaos, with officers running through crowded streets screaming for people to flee and lifeboats drafted to help clear the area.

British media reported that more than one person had been killed in the rampage.

London’s Metropolitan Police force said it had declared the attacks as “terrorist incidents.”

The attack comes less than three months after an attacker ran down people with a vehicle on Westminster Bridge, killing four, then stabbed a policeman to death outside Parliament.

With files from The Associated Press

The Canadian Press

Just Posted

PHOTOS: CP holiday train stops in Nelson

On Tuesday the CP holiday train made its 19th annual stop in Nelson

Special citation for cultural icon

Stephanie Fischer is ‘a true friend’ of Nelson

Where are Nelson’s downtown Christmas lights?

People have been voicing their complaints to the Star about this, so we decided to look into it

Former Nelsonite stops attack on Muslim woman

Jake Taylor intervened in a violent incident on Skytrain

Site C dam decision ‘tough’ for Mungall

Michelle Mungall and the B.C. government gave the green light to the Peace River project.

VIDEO: Average Canadian food bill to rise by $348 in 2018

Atlantic Canada and B.C. will see the most increases for consumers

Nelson’s SEEDS to move from Lakeside Park

New gardening location will be at Seventh Street Park

Columnist, dance instructor honoured by city

A Nelson Star columnist and a creative dance leader receive awards

Grease auditions set for the Capitol

Black productions is bringing 50s musical to town.

Breakfast gives kids a big boost

Books, toys and cash donated

Poverty the featured topic at artistic event

Artists to perform at event organized by Nelson at its Best

Local fabric artist Kate Bridger opens exhibit at Nelson Public Library

Bridger will be exhibited at the Nelson Public Library until Dec. 31

More than 20,000 pounds of garbage removed from riverside homeless camps

Two camps taken down last week on the banks of the Fraser and Chilliwack rivers

Suspect in Revelstoke standoff killed himself: RCMP

Mohammadali Darabi, suspect in the Calgary homicide of his roommate, was stopped in Revelstoke

Most Read