Castlegar road-rampage suspect makes appearance in court

Case remanded until the new year

A man facing charges after a “Grand Theft Auto”- style rampage in Castlegar last month will be spending Christmas in jail.

Sean Patrick Byrne had his case remanded by a judge in court in Rossland on Thursday morning.

Bryne, 28, was charged after a man attempted to rob a woman who was giving him a ride in Castlegar on Nov. 7. The woman got away but the man stole her car.

The driver barrelled through the construction then underway on Columbia Ave., knocking down traffic pylons, swerving wildly and even going up on the sidewalk, according to witnesses.

The RCMP said the suspect car nearly hit a construction flagger and several workers. The suspect fled west on Highway 3, until the vehicle got a flat tire.

Police said the driver tried to force a pickup truck off the road. The pickup driver stopped and was assaulted by the suspect, who then tried to steal that vehicle. When that failed he tried to steal a transport truck that had also stopped.

The suspect was eventually subdued by the drivers of the pickup truck and the transport, and held for police.

Byrne faces 15 charges in connection with the incident, including dangerous operation of a motor vehicle, robbery, theft of a motor vehicle, assault with a weapon, and possession of stolen property.

He had been released on bail the previous day after being arrested in the Okanagan, when a man led police on a high-speed chase near Vernon.

Byrne appeared in Rossland court via video conference. Judge Robert Brown remanded Byrne in custody to give the Crown and defence time to exchange information.

His next appearance will be on Jan. 10.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Comments are closed

Just Posted

School District 8: about 25% of students returned to schools last month

The number of students who participated in part-time classes was below the provincial average

Child care severely lacking in Kaslo, says new study

Report says Kaslo needs 10 times the current number of available spaces

Province offers support to safeguard Kootenay fruit pickers

All seasonal fruit pickers will need to take an online COVID-19 awareness course

Nelson Air Cadets receive promotions and awards

The squadron has been operating virtually since March

LETTER: High Street decision disappointing

From reader Tanya Skok Hobbs

‘This year is unlike any other’: Trudeau delivers Canada day address

Sophie Gregoire Trudeau and the Prime Minister release video celebrating the national holiday

Help the Nelson Star continue its mission to provide trusted local news

Black Press is now accepting donations to keep its papers operating

Tsilhqot’in Nation demands meeting with feds on declining Fraser River chinook stocks

The Nation wants to partner with DFO to rebuild and recover the stocks

PHOTOS: Dual rallies take over Legislature lawn on Canada Day

Resist Canada 153 highlighted colonization and genocide, Unify the People called COVID a hoax

Gov. General honours Canadians for bravery, volunteer service

Five categories of winners presented on Canada Day

COVID-19: Should non-medical masks be mandatory in Canada?

New poll shows Canadians are divided on the rules around mandatory masks

‘A little bit scary for everybody’: Air passengers wary as new rules take effect

Masks or face coverings have been mandatory on flights since April 20

VIDEO: Prince William and Kate chat with B.C. hospital staff about COVID-19

Seven-minute video posted to Youtube on Canada Day

Most Read