Celgar says equipment failure won’t affect production next week

The chip dumper collapse on Oct. 6 is still under investigation

Officials at Celgar’s pulp mill in Castlegar say they should be back up to full operation in a few days despite an industrial accident earlier this month that damaged a crucial piece of equipment.

One of the mill’s two wood chip dumpers malfunctioned on Oct. 6. There’s still no explanation why the machine, which lifts transport trucks vertically and dumps their loads of wood chips into a hopper, collapsed without warning.

Celgar officials say the machinery had been inspected and cleared earlier this year.

No one was injured in the accident, which is still under investigation. On Sunday, Oct. 13 — more than a week after the accident — crews were finally able to remove the truck, which was left hanging suspended in the damaged machine.

The accident left Celgar officials having to find a place to put the tons of wood chips that are delivered to the plant daily.

“While the chip dumpers are being inspected and repaired, Celgar’s contracts for fibre delivery will continue to be honoured,” says a company news release. “Instead of bringing chips to the dumpers on site, fibre will be dropped at temporary transfer stations.”

Those transfer station are at Midway, west of Grand Forks and the Interfor transfer site next door to Celgar.

Celgar spokesperson Rose Leslie said the company expects to have the mill’s remaining, undamaged chip dumper inspected and operating by Oct. 21. That’s just a few days after the mill’s annual shutdown ends and production resumes, on the afternoon of Oct. 18.

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

 

In this screen grab from a 2011 Youtube video, the Celgar chip dumper lifts a transport truck to remove the load of wood chips. Video by roserugosa

Just Posted

Young farmers find a home through land-matching program

Young Agrarians links would-be farmers with landowners who have land to spare

Joanne Siderius wins 2020 Suzy Hamilton Legacy Award

The award is presented annually to a female-identified environmental activist in the West Kootenay

Trial date set in Castlegar RCMP shooting death

Constable Jason Tait has elected a jury trial.

RDCK recycling depots to join RecycleBC program

Some depots open, others close, and different materials will be accepted

B.C. records no new COVID-19 deaths for the first time in weeks

Good news comes despite 11 new test-positive cases in B.C. in the past 24 hours

Help the Nelson Star continue its mission to provide trusted local news

Black Press is now accepting donations to keep its papers operating

BC Corrections to expand list of eligible offenders for early release during pandemic

Non-violent offenders are being considered for early release through risk assessment process

Fraser Valley driver featured on ‘Highway Thru Hell’ TV show dies

Monkhouse died Sunday night of a heartattack, Jamie Davis towing confirmed

B.C. visitor centres get help with COVID-19 prevention measures

Destination B.C. gearing up for local, in-province tourism

36 soldiers test positive for COVID-19 after working in Ontario, Quebec care homes

Nearly 1,700 military members are working in long-term care homes overwhelmed by COVID-19

B.C. poison control sees spike in adults, children accidentally ingesting hand sanitizer

Hand sanitizer sales and usage have gone up sharply amid COVID-19 pandemic

B.C. man with Alberta plates gets car keyed and aggressive note

Some out-of-province people are finding hostile reception due to COVID-19 worries

Most Read