Two musicians perform 'Requiem for a Glacier' in the summer of 2013

Court is an option, says Jumbo developer after government kills project

Jumbo Glacier Resorts is considering its options, and taking the government to court is one of them.

Glacier Resorts Ltd says it is considering three options in response to environment minister Mary Polak’s decision last week that  its ski resort and real estate development can not go ahead because it was not substantially started by the date its environmental certificate expired.

One of those options is to take the matter to court.

“One of our options will be judicial review,” said the company’s Tom Oberti in an interview with the Star on Monday. He said the minister’s decision shows a “lack of natural justice and a lack of due process.”

A second option would be to downsize the project so that it fits in a category of ski resort that, according to provincial regulations, does not require an environmental assessment, although there is a less rigourous approval process. That would mean scaling the development back from 5500 bed units to under 2000.

Another option, said Oberti, would be to go back to square one and apply for a new environmental assessment certificate, although he said this option is “unlikely” because of the time and expense involved.

Oberti said the lateness of the construction at Jumbo was unavoidable because the province “took its time” in various permitting and agreement processes, including its consultations with First Nations.

He also faulted the environment minister for “changing the goalposts” by using the company’s plan for Phase 1 of the  project as the benchmark for her decision on whether the project was substantially started.

Last week the appointed mayor of Jumbo, Greg Deck, told the Star that he can’t predict the fate of the Jumbo municipality following Polak’s decision, but that he is optimistic that a ski resort will happen eventually, one way or another, with this developer or a different one.

Polak’s written reasons for her decision are attached below.

Jumbo Decision

Just Posted

Nelson Women’s March joins others across globe

The event was held to promote equality and an end to violence against women

Born 1 pound, 11 ounces, Winlaw premature baby comes home

Indra Greaves was born at the Nelson hospital after just 24 weeks of gestation

Leafs stretch winning streak to 8 games

Nelson downed Grand Forks 5-2 on Friday

RDCK moves ahead with Castlegar rec complex upgrade plan

Board approves grant application for $13 million from provincial, federal governments

Cottonwood Lake preservation group surpasses $50,000 fundraising goal

In 28 days, 393 donors have contributed to the fund

VIDEO: Students in MAGA hats mock Native American at Indigenous Peoples March

Diocese in Kentucky says it is investigating the matter, caught on video by onlookers

CONSUMER REPORT: What to buy each month in 2019 to save money

Resolve to buy all of the things you want and need, but pay less money for them

Want to avoid the speculation tax on your vacant home? Rent it out, Horgan says

Premier John Horgan and Sheila Malcolmson say speculation and vacancy tax addresses homelessness

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Most Read