Damage is estimated at $5,000 following a fire at a home in Fairview on Sunday afternoon.
Nelson Fire and Rescue says it responded to a report of flames and smoke coming from the house around 3:25 p.m.
Nelson Police also responded and determined the fire was burning outside the home, and used the owner’s garden hose to put out most of the visible fire.
When firefighters arrived, they checked inside the home. Once satisfied that the fire had not spread, they removed pieces of the wooden siding and deck railings to finish putting the blaze out.
In a news release, assistant chief Mike Daloise said the fire started on the deck, burnt part of the wooden railing, as well as some wooden siding and trim.
The cause was determined to be a decorative globe concentrating the sun’s rays onto the wooden railing, which ignited and spread.
“Glass objects, or anything else that can refract light, can magnify the sun’s rays and ignite objects such as decking and siding,” Daloise said in a news release. “This is especially important with the heat wave warning issued by Environment Canada.”
Daloise thanked a member of the public who noticed the fire and called 911, as well as the quick actions by police, which “significantly reduced the amount of fire damage and prevented it from extending into the soffit.”
There were no injuries.