Dumpster fire quickly doused

Dumpster fire quickly doused

Cigarette butts the likely cause of morning blaze.

  • Mar. 18, 2014 11:00 a.m.

At about 8:30 this morning (March 18) the Nelson Fire Department responded to a report of a dumpster on fire.  Both on duty members responded immediately with the assistant fire chief.

Upon arrival, smoke was observed coming from a recycling dumpster.  The first arriving crew’s primary objective was stopping the smoldering fire from progressing.

The fire was quickly knocked down to preserve any evidence for an investigation.

In all, three firefighters responded to the incident with one fire engine and one utility vehicle.  No injuries were reported as a result of this incident. The cause of the fire appears to be careless disposal of cigarette butts.

Nelson Fire Rescue would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to please take care in extinguishing your smoking material. The use of garbage cans, dumpsters, plant potters, and bark mulch to extinguish your smoking material has a high likelihood of causing a fire.