The future of the Fish and Wildlife Compensation Program comes down to whether it should be part of government or run independently.

Fate of Kootenay fish program looms

A steering committee directed to address the future of the Fish and Wildlife Compensation Program is closer to a final recommendation.

A steering committee directed to address the future of the Fish and Wildlife Compensation Program is coming closer to a final recommendation.

Local employees of the program were handed pink slips last fall after BC Hydro implemented various cost saving measures.

Columbia region program manager Trevor Oussoren told Nelson city council last week the committee has been working through a decision making process, towards a November deadline.

“The models I shared in the meeting are what we’ve heard from stakeholders,” he said following the presentation. “Those models were frontrunners.”

The two models are Fish and Wildlife Compensation program staff working for the Ministry of Fish, Lands and Natural Resource Operations or an “independent distinct organization.”

“There is designated funding to the positions in the first model where they aren’t necessarily government-funded positions but have designated funding instead,” said Oussoren.

Even though the second model is independent, according to discussions in the steering committee, even in the independent model the program manager should be BC Hydro staff, based in the region with technical/biological expertise.

In the independent model there would still be $4 million from BC Hydro designated to the program annually.

Oussoren said with the Ministry model, staff positions would be more secure in concept because of the designated funding.

Following the decision by BC Hydro last fall, many local organizations and groups including Nelson city council voiced concern around moving local positions to Vancouver and Victoria.

Oussoren said it’s his understanding the program will retain experienced staff in the region.

Councillor Donna Macdonald, who voiced concern around the changes to the program, said last week’s presentation eased her mind to a large extent.

“I was just such a shock when all of a sudden the program was cancelled in its old form,” said Macdonald. “As we learned tonight they did that basically to reduce the number of positions and had no plan on how to continue the program in its valuable work.”

Of the two presented models, Macdonald said her preference would be for an independent organization.

“It would be something we can have ownership over and that we as the larger Basin community can manage and set priorities,” she said. “But I’m always fearful of having things disappear.”

According to Macdonald, with the Ministry model there is a concern positions and the program disappear into government offices.

“There is always a concern the priorities for the program might get subsumed under the priorities of that government ministry,” she said.

The new delivery model for the Columbia region is anticipated to be announced in November for implementation on April 1.

Just Posted

Leafs stretch winning streak to 8 games

Nelson downed Grand Forks 5-2 on Friday

RDCK moves ahead with Castlegar rec complex upgrade plan

Board approves grant application for $13 million from provincial, federal governments

Cottonwood Lake preservation group surpasses $50,000 fundraising goal

In 28 days, 393 donors have contributed to the fund

Last of southern Selkirk caribou relocated to Revelstoke area

One cow from the South Selkirk herd and two from the Purcells were moved this week

Scammers using Castlegar home for rental fraud

Local realtors say the problem is happening more frequently with their properties

Self serve doggy-wash poised to change dog grooming industry

Add money, start spraying to wash dog in the K9000

UPDATE: B.C. woman and boy, 6, found safe, RCMP confirm

Roseanne Supernault says both she and her six-year-old nephew are fine and she has contacted police

PHOTOS: Women’s Marches take to the streets across B.C. and beyond

Women and allies marched worldwide protesting violence against women, calling for equality

Anxiety in Alaska as endless aftershocks rattle residents

Seismologists expect the temblors to continue for months, although the frequency has lessened

Women’s March returns across the U.S. amid shutdown and controversy

The original march in 2017, the day after President Donald Trump’s inauguration, drew hundreds of thousands of people

Federal Liberals announce former B.C. MLA as new candidate in byelection

Richard Lee will face off against federal NDP leader Jagmeet Singh

No winning ticket in $10 million Lotto Max jackpot

No win in Friday night’s draw means the next Lotto Max draw will be approximately $17 million

Scientists ID another possible threat to orcas: pink salmon

For two decades, significantly more of the whales have died in even-numbered years than in odd years

Burnaby byelection turmoil sparks debate about identity issues in politics

The Liberals still have not said whether they plan to replace Wang, who stepped aside Wednesday

Most Read