A fire in the assisted living wing of Mountain Lake Seniors Community in Nelson last night was quickly put out

Fire forces evacuation of Nelson seniors home

A fire in a microwave last night forced residents of Mountain Lake Seniors Community to evacuate. Nobody was hurt.

A fire in a microwave last night forced residents of Mountain Lake Seniors Community to evacuate. Nobody was hurt.

Nelson Fire and Rescue said the call came in shortly after 6 p.m. reporting smoke in the second floor corridor of the assisted living wing. Staff and police officers were already evacuating residents when two firefighters arrived with an engine.

Firefighters found heavy smoke in the suite where the fire started and called for a ladder truck. They entered and discovered a fire in a microwave, which had spread to the cabinet housing it. It was quickly put out.

The investigation found the fire started as the result of an overheated therapeutic beanbag.

“There was a lot of smoke involved because the fire involved plastics,” chief Simon Grympa says. “The fumes were very toxic and acidic.”

Once the fire was extinguished firefighters began ventilating the building. Thanks to the smoke alarm, the resident of the suite where the fire started got out safely.

Eight firefighters eventually responded with four pieces of equipment. Damage was confined to the unit where the fire began and is estimated at $1,000 to $3,000.

Residents, who were evacuated to the community hall within the complex, were able to return to their rooms after about an hour and a half.

“The residents were calm, cool, and collected and the staff was very good in conducting the evacuation,” Grypma said. “It was very systematic and controlled.”

Grypma said it’s a good example for homeowners and apartment tenants of the importance of smoke alarms.

“Anybody in that environment who was asleep without a working smoke alarm certainly could have succumbed to their injuries and potentially died.”

Ian West, vice-president of operations for Mountain Lake, told the Star the evacuation went according to plan.

“Fire is something we’re very much aware of, and with this vulnerable population we have to make sure they know what to do and our staff also,” he said.

West said they hold monthly fire drills, but he believed it was the first time they have actually evacuated the facility. He added that because the incident happened just after supper, plenty of people were around.

“We appreciate the help of the staff and co-operation of residents and family members there at the time. Luckily it was a happy ending.”

Just Posted

Nelson to allow marijuana dispensaries to operate into new year

Medical cannabis dispensaries won’t be penalized for operating until their recreational applications are heard

Nelson Curling Club still suffering financially

The club posted a nearly $20,000 loss last year, announced at its AGM on Sunday

Over $25,000 raised for Columbia Basin literacy

Success for 2018 Books for Kids campaign

Nelson Leafs, regional district plan full-time hazardous waste recycling depot

City requires flood-mitigation plan before one-year trial can begin

Nelson Leafs humble Rockies 9-2

Leafs score 7 unanswered goals en route to win

VIDEO: Monday Roundup

#hotscoops #hotscoops #hotscoops

Out of the doghouse: B.C. city lifts ban on pup who barked too much at dog park

Cameron the Shetland sheepdog is allowed back into Uplands off-leash dog park under some conditions.

No flood of extremist returnees to Canada expected, federal report says

The report says some 190 people with connections to Canada are suspected of terrorist activity abroad

Canada-China relations turn icy over arrest of Chinese exec

The Huawei case has threatened to complicate U.S.-China efforts to resolve a bitter trade dispute.

Prosecutor signs off on former B.C. Liberal government’s quick-wins probe

David Butcher said in a statement released Monday that the RCMP recommended charges under the Elections Act

Canadian physicist who won Nobel Prize touts science for the sake of science

Donna Strickland, 59, said securing the field’s highest honour has given her a significant new platform

Cranbrook planning X-Games style winter festival

Events to include snowmobilers, snowboarders and bands peforming downtown on Feb. 16, 2019

Too many die in heavy truck crashes, B.C. auditor says

Province has no mandatory driver training for commercial vehicles

B.C. city considers scrapping funds for Christmas decorations

Victoria city coun. Ben Isitt doesn’t think the government should pay for any religious symbols

Most Read