A fire in the assisted living wing of Mountain Lake Seniors Community in Nelson last night was quickly put out

Fire forces evacuation of Nelson seniors home

A fire in a microwave last night forced residents of Mountain Lake Seniors Community to evacuate. Nobody was hurt.

A fire in a microwave last night forced residents of Mountain Lake Seniors Community to evacuate. Nobody was hurt.

Nelson Fire and Rescue said the call came in shortly after 6 p.m. reporting smoke in the second floor corridor of the assisted living wing. Staff and police officers were already evacuating residents when two firefighters arrived with an engine.

Firefighters found heavy smoke in the suite where the fire started and called for a ladder truck. They entered and discovered a fire in a microwave, which had spread to the cabinet housing it. It was quickly put out.

The investigation found the fire started as the result of an overheated therapeutic beanbag.

“There was a lot of smoke involved because the fire involved plastics,” chief Simon Grympa says. “The fumes were very toxic and acidic.”

Once the fire was extinguished firefighters began ventilating the building. Thanks to the smoke alarm, the resident of the suite where the fire started got out safely.

Eight firefighters eventually responded with four pieces of equipment. Damage was confined to the unit where the fire began and is estimated at $1,000 to $3,000.

Residents, who were evacuated to the community hall within the complex, were able to return to their rooms after about an hour and a half.

“The residents were calm, cool, and collected and the staff was very good in conducting the evacuation,” Grypma said. “It was very systematic and controlled.”

Grypma said it’s a good example for homeowners and apartment tenants of the importance of smoke alarms.

“Anybody in that environment who was asleep without a working smoke alarm certainly could have succumbed to their injuries and potentially died.”

Ian West, vice-president of operations for Mountain Lake, told the Star the evacuation went according to plan.

“Fire is something we’re very much aware of, and with this vulnerable population we have to make sure they know what to do and our staff also,” he said.

West said they hold monthly fire drills, but he believed it was the first time they have actually evacuated the facility. He added that because the incident happened just after supper, plenty of people were around.

“We appreciate the help of the staff and co-operation of residents and family members there at the time. Luckily it was a happy ending.”

Just Posted

VIDEO: This is what buying legal pot in B.C. looks like

Take a look inside B.C.’s first and only legal pot shop located in Kamloops

Pacific Insight to lay off part of workforce

The company says it is transferring automotive production to its Mexico facility

Black belt tests on this week at Kootenay Martial Arts

Grandmaster Brenda Sell returns to assist in testing

UPDATED: Four Nelson marijuana dispensaries to remain open after legalization

Nelson’s police chief has no plans to close them down

Nelson candidates debate climate change at forum

Mayoral and council candidates had the chance to speak on five fictional resolutions

VIDEO: Candidates at Nelson election forum

Mayoral candidates joined 18 council candidates for an evening of very short answers

Jagmeet Singh says marijuana pardons are not enough

Trudeau government will streamline pardon process for Canadians convicted of simple possession of marijuana in the past

BC Ferries begins taking debit in two-month pilot project

Company is giving customers option to use Interac on two-month trial on select vessels

Caregivers banned from smoking, growing cannabis around children-in-care: MCFD

Ministry has limited cannabis use for caregivers, stating it may “pose a risk to children and youth.”

Cheaper strains sell out within minutes on online BC Cannabis Store

Province says new strains will become available in the coming months

Only 40% of B.C. car dealerships have electric cars available: report

Researchers found buyers frustrated at the lack of options

VIDEO: Millionaire Lottery returns to give back and win big

Since 1996, Millionaire Lottery has raised $52 million for the VGH+UBC Hospital Foundation

Baby boomer buba shares heartfelt novel with Okanagan audience

Pauline Daniel will be at Vernon’s Bookland and library Oct. 20

Most Read