Former Quebec ski coach released from prison during appeal

Bertrand Charest will be released from prison

Former national ski coach Bertrand Charest will be released from prison as he appeals his convictions on sex-related charges involving young skiers.

“He does not present a risk of flight, nor a risk of committing another infraction, nor a risk of obstructing the administration of justice if he is released while awaiting the appeal,” Quebec Court of Appeal Justice Martin Vauclair wrote in a decision issued Monday.

Charest has been behind bars since his arrest in 2015.

READ MORE: Three victims of ex-ski coach Bertrand Charest suing Alpine Canada

He was found guilty in June 2017 of 37 of the 57 sex-related charges he faced involving nine of the 12 women who had accused him of crimes that occurred more than 20 years ago. He was coaching the victims, some of whom were minors. One became pregnant, and Charest took her to have an abortion.

Charest, 53, is appealing the guilty verdicts as well as the 12-year sentence he received in December 2017.

In arguing for his release, Charest said there had been a significant change in his situation after the Crown conceded that, for a variety of reasons, 20 of the 37 guilty verdicts should not stand.

READ MORE: Canada losing ground on abuse and harassment reporting in sports: study

The Court of Appeal noted that the Crown acknowledges eight of the charges should result in acquittals, eight should result in stays of proceedings and two should yield new trials. Vauclair said the impact of the Crown’s concession is “more than minimal” and will have an impact on the ultimate sentence.

The judge imposed a number of conditions on Charest’s release. He cannot be alone with a minor, he is prohibited from communicating with the victims and he cannot leave Quebec without the court’s approval.

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.

Just Posted

Nelson contributes $5,000 in kind to Rosemont inter-generational park

Natural playground, benches and paved walkways will attract seniors and kids at Art Gibbon Park

Cannabis outlet requests to take over MMJ Canada location

Quadz Cannabis has applied for a licence from the city

Gas venting from tanker at Castlegar rail yard posed no danger: officials

Argon gas discharged from a CP tanker car on Friday, April 19.

PHOTOS: Nelson kids clean up Easter mess

Coloured eggs were strewn across Lakeside Park

PHOTOS: Nelson goes green for Earth Day

Environment friendly initiatives were promoted at the annual event

VIDEO: Nelson students paint Parachutes for the Planet

The youth-led initiative lobbies governments for climate change action

WATCH: South Vancouver Island shooting an ‘isolated and targeted’ incident, say police

One person in custody, another fled following shooting and crash on West Shore

Woe, Canada: Bruins down Maple Leafs 5-1 in Game 7

No Canadian teams left in Stanley Cup playoffs

Defence accuses officer of ‘incompetence’ in trial for B.C. man accused in daughters’ murder

Double murder trial for the Victoria father accused of killing his two young daughters continues

Should B.C. parents receive money if they make sure their kids are vaccinated?

New survey looks at public opinion around government’s role in forcing immunizations

B.C. men challenge constitutionality of Canada’s secret no-fly list

Parvkar Singh Dulai says he received a “denial of boarding” notification under the no-fly program last May 17

Murder on B.C. property didn’t need to be disclosed before sale, court rules

Buyer had tried to break contract after learning a man with ties to crime had been murdered there

B.C.’s largest Vaisakhi festival target of threatening Facebook post: Surrey RCMP

Police say they are investigating the posts on Facebook, after local MLA forwarded screenshots

Pug life: B.C. town boasts waggish list of dog names

Freedom-of-information request lists most ‘pupular’ dog names registered in White Rock

Most Read