The fire department reports $1,000 damage and no injuries. File photo

The fire department reports $1,000 damage and no injuries. File photo

House fire extinguished in Fairview

The suspected cause is improperly discarded smoking material

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services responded to a report of smoke showing from an apartment building in Fairview at 10:20 a.m. on Nov. 5.

“Upon arrival, crews observed neighbouring residents standing outside and smoke billowing out of an apartment on the first floor,” a fire department news release states.

“The first arriving crew’s primary objective was to ensure no one was still inside the unit and to extinguish the fire. An Nelson Police Department member had arrived on scene just prior and made entry but was unable to fully search the unit due to heavy smoke conditions. Two mattresses were on fire. They were removed from the premises and extinguished.”

No injuries were reported as a result of this incident. Damage is estimated at $1,000 and the suspected cause of the fire is improperly discarded smoking material. Four firefighters responded to the incident with one fire engine and one utility vehicle.

“Nelson Fire and Rescue Services would like to remind everyone to ensure smoking material is fully extinguished and whenever possible to smoke outdoors away from structures and to not extinguish smoking materials in outdoor planters,” the statement reads.

”Also always have a working smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector.”