A huge slide at Johnsons Landing in July 2012 left several homes uninhabitable. The RDCK is now advertising for contractors to remove one of those homes as well as a debris pile on a property where three people died.

Johnsons Landing properties set for demolition, clean-up

The regional district is advertising for contractors to tear down a home and clean up two properties affected by the Johnsons Landing slide.

The Regional District of Central Kootenay is advertising for contractors to tear down a home and clean up two properties affected by last year’s Johnsons Landing slide.

The tender documents call for the demolition of the home at 2223 Houston Road as well as clean up of a debris pile at 2216 Houston Road where three people died.

Regional district chief administrator Brian Carruthers said they are handling the process on behalf of Emergency Management BC.

“It’s just because we’re on the ground. That’s the only reason,” he said. “They don’t have the resources to do it, so they asked us to take it on on their behalf. We’re assisting them but they pay all the costs.”

The property owners claimed disaster financial assistance, Carruthers said, and the demolition and removal work is being carried out as part of those claims.

The deadline for tenders is October 3.

The landslide on July 12, 2012 killed four people, destroyed several homes, and forced others to evacuate. A report released in May said the risk of future landslides remains high and some homes may never be safe to occupy.

While the provincial government has provided financial support to residents whose primary residences were left uninhabitable, they stopped short of buying unsafe properties — to the consternation of some owners.

The tender document notes the area remains under a state of local emergency and the contractor has to assess how to carry out the work safely.

The site where the debris pile is to be removed belonged to Val Webber, 60, who was killed along with daughters Rachel, 17, and Diana, 22.

Petra Frehse, 64, was the slide’s other victim.

Just Posted

RDCK sets deadline for Nelson to agree to compost plan

Mayor John Dooley said the timeline request is unreasonable

Rossland moves forward on single-use plastic bag ban bylaw

Bylaw given first reading at last council meeting

PHOTOS: Business after Business highlights Traction on Demand

It’s the first time Malpass has spoken formally to the business community about his purchase of Branch 51 of the Royal Canadian Legion

Premier Horgan talks jobs and opportunity at Castlegar mill

Upbeat visit brings message of hope and co-operation among Kootenay forestry players

Nelson couple expecting identical girl triplets

Pregnancies of this type are incredibly rare

VIDEO: Driver in bizarre hit-and-run at B.C. car dealership turns herself in

Police believe alcohol was a factor in incident causing estimated $15,000 in damages

RCMP arrest B.C. man following threatening Vaisakhi Facebook post

Post made reference to pressure cooker bomb at massive Surrey parade

B.C. woman pleads for people to stop stealing daffodils meant to honour cancer victims

Cynthia Bentley honours memory of those lost to cancer by planting 100 daffodils each year

University mourns student who died in B.C. canoeing accident

Andrew Milner, 19, was in his second year with the University of Calgary’s basketball program

Canfor temporarily shutting down lumber mills across B.C.

Low lumber prices and the high cost of fibre are the cause of curtailment, according to the company

Two in critical condition, several still in hospital after Langley deck collapse

Close relative Satwant Garcha makes daily trips to visit those injured at the wedding

Allegedly intoxicated man arrested after 3 paramedics attacked at Kamloops hospital

Paramedics had transported the man to Royal Inlands Hospital for medical treatment

Canadian privacy watchdogs find major shortcomings in Facebook probe

The probe followed reports that Facebook had let an outside organization use an app to access users’ personal info

B.C., Ottawa talk 50/50 split on abandoned bus-route service

B.C. has paid $2 million on a bus service for the northern part of the province

Most Read