A homeless man was allegedly assaulted in March 2019 here at the corner of Baker and Ward Streets. Photo: Tyler Harper

Judge acquits accused in assault of Nelson homeless man

The man was allegedly swarmed by a group last year

A man accused of participating in a mob assault of a homeless person last year in Nelson has been acquitted.

Justus Taylor Bisch had been charged with assault causing bodily harm after he and three other men were arrested on March 16, 2019.

The group had allegedly beat up 59-year-old Murray Poole, who was outside the former Wait’s News location at Ward and Baker Streets.

In his decision on Feb. 28, Judge Phillip Seagram ruled the eye witnesses who testified were credible but inconsistent in their accounts and did not positively identify Bisch as a participating assailant.

Bisch, who also testified last week, admitted to being at the scene.

The case against Bisch was complicated by Poole’s absence. He later died in what police have said is an unrelated incident that is also the subject of an active homicide investigation.

The three other men arrested in the alleged assault cannot be named by the Star because they were under 18 at the time of the incident.

Related: Trial begins after homeless man allegedly swarmed downtown Nelson



tyler.harper@nelsonstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Criminal Justice

Get local stories you won't find anywhere else right to your inbox.
Sign up here

Just Posted

Vehicle incident causes Hwy 6 closure and power outages in Slocan Valley

A Thursday afternoon incident has closed the main highway in the Slocan Valley

Emergency dental clinic to open in Nelson during COVID-19 shutdowns

Only people with serious pain, infection, or trauma will be admitted

Nelson and COVID-19: everything you need to know

Check this page for every local story related to the outbreak

Blewett Elementary expansion denied provincial funding

The pre-approved $5-million plan would have added 112 seats to the packed school

Nelson product commits to Cranbrook Bucks

Noah Quinn will make the jump to Jr. A next year with the BCHL’s newest franchise

From inside the ER: B.C. doctor tells it like it is from the frontlines of COVID-19

‘Stay home. It’s working,’ says ER doctor in a Q&A discussion, ‘And please don’t worry.’

Dogs are property, not kids, B.C. judge tells former couple

Court decision made on competing lawsuits over Zeus and Aurora — a pit bull and pit bull cross

B.C. senior gives blood for 200th time, has ‘saved’ 600 lives

There was no cutting of cake for Harvey Rempel but he’s challenging youth to start donating blood

Trudeau commits $100M to help food banks amid COVID-19 crisis

Funds will help ‘urgent food needs’ for Canadians awaiting federal emergency benefits to kick in

Couple won’t self-isolate after returning from overseas: Cowichan by-law

New law requires 14 days of self-isolation when returning to Canada

How well can cell phones carry COVID-19? Disinfecting may be wise

‘You want to keep it as clean as you would normally your hands’

3M pushes back on Trump administration call to stop sending N95 masks to Canada

3M says it has already been turning out as many of the N95 masks as possible

B.C. health care workers gain access to virtual health care options

During COVID-19 many clinics have closed, leaving health care workers with nowhere to turn

Most Read