Kaslo RCMP have shut down plans for a rave scheduled for the May long weekend.

Kaslo RCMP shut down planned rave

Plans for a rave in near Kaslo over the May long weekend have been stopped by the Village of Kaslo and the Kaslo RCMP.

The Village of Kaslo and the Kaslo RCMP are telling local parents and teenagers that a rave planned for the area known as ninja fort will not be permitted.

“We aren’t trying to ruin anyone’s fun, that’s not the idea of it,” said Const. Doug Robinson. “If you walk down to the site it’s not hard to realize how ugly things could get. We’ll do what we can to keep the community safe.”

RCMP found out about the rave planned for the May long weekend through word of mouth and the community.

Robinson said that judging from the Facebook page a minimum of 100 people would have likely attended.

“As a police force we can’t allow anyone to go ahead and do that,” he said. “You know what raves are all about. We don’t see as much alcohol at these things as we do drugs. We jumped on this one this year for that reason and the fact that we’ve talked to the Department of Transportation’s road maintenance workers and they said the way the river is running down at the site right now if one of the log jams further up river broke up there could have water two to three feet high rushing down river.”

The location has been used for similar events in the past, Robinson said there was one there last year in June and a couple years ago there was one that shut down the whole road.

The Mayor of Kaslo has issued a statement advising that no permission will be granted to use village land for the purposes of a rave because of significant liability to the village.

Kaslo RCMP will be assisting the village by removing anyone from village land who is engaged in unauthorized and unsupervised activity of mass gathering raves.

Robinson the RCMP has identified some of the organizers but their names have not been released to the public.

 

Just Posted

Nelson won’t restrict parking amnesty to West Kootenay

So far, more than 800 people have responded with amnesty payments

Coldest Night of the Year walk set for Feb. 23

The annual event raises money for Nelson CARES ‘Ready for Home’ program

Castlegar council set to rule on three retail cannabis proposals

Residents have until Dec. 27 to comment on the business proposals

Nelson Boxing named province’s top club

The club won several awards while going 13-1 at provincials

Nelson council rejects review of mayor’s salary

Mayor Dooley proposed that $10,000 of his pay be put in trust and a review undertaken

Cannabis gift ideas for this holiday season

Put the green in happy holidays, now that cannabis is legal in Canada

‘I thought I was dead as soon as I saw the gun’

Keremeos gas station attendant tells story about man with gun coming to store

‘People talk about deep sadness:’ Scientists study climate change grief

Some call it environmental grief, some call it solastalgia — a word coined for a feeling of homesickness when home changes around you.

As protectors abandon Trump, investigation draws closer

Cohen was sentenced Wednesday to three years in prison for an array of crimes.

Senate delays start of sittings in new home, delaying start of broadcasts

The Senate and House of Commons are moving into temporary homes for the next decade as a result of long-planned and badly needed renovations to the Centre Block.

UK leader seeks EU lifeline after surviving confidence vote

EU leaders gather for a two-day summit, beginning Thursday, which will center on the Brexit negotiations.

French police try to catch attack suspect dead or alive

Local authorities increase death toll to three, including 13 wounded and five in serious condition

BCHL’ers blanked by Russia at World Junior A Challenge

Canada West loses battle of the unbeaten teams in the preliminary round

Second Canadian missing in China after questioning by authorities

Michael Spavor, founder of a non-profit that organizes cultural-exchange trips to North Korea, “is presently missing in China”

Most Read