Nelson police say a man was taken to hospital early Sunday after consuming an unknown street drug.
Just after midnight, they received a report about a man in medical distress in the 400 block of Vernon Street. They arrived to find another man performing CPR on him. He wasn’t breathing and didn’t have a pulse.
Police administered naloxone and took over until paramedics and firefighters arrived. They found a pulse and the man was taken to hospital for assessment and treatment. His current condition is unknown.
Sgt. Corey Hoy says officers were told the incident was the result of an unknown drug.
“Nelson Police would like to reiterate previous drug alerts and advise to not use alone, to carry naloxone, and to get drugs tested if possible,” he said in a news release.
“The Nelson Police Department has noted a marked increase in overdose-related calls for service recently and believes much of the local drug supply may be contaminated with other dangerous substances not known by the user.”