The Nelson fire department responded to a report of poster board on fire at the bus stop at Baker and Ward Street around 3 a.m. Saturday. Firefighters responded immediately with one engine and the Nelson Police Department were also dispatched.
By the time the crew arrived, the fire had been extinguished by a bystander that used a fire extinguisher to suppress the fire. Firefighters wetted down the area with approximately 30 gallons (113 litres) of water to prevent re-ignition.
The fire appears to have originated by the ignition of paper materials that were attached to the poster board by unknown persons, the fire department said.
No injuries were reported as a result of this incident. If anyone has information about this incident please contact either Nelson Fire Rescue or Nelson Police Department.
Nelson Fire Rescue said the incident could have been much worse had the fire gotten into the overhead structure attached to the building.