Nelson Fire and Rescue Services attended an explosion and fire in Gyro Park at about 2:30 a.m. on Monday.
The department said in a statement a brush fire was found that had already extended into the trees.
“A distraught person with no fixed address was found near the fire,” said the statement.
“The crew removed the person from the area of the fire and assessed them for possible injury. They were then escorted to BC Ambulance at street level by two members of Nelson Police Department.”
The fire did not appear to be maliciously set and was the result of an overheated propane cylinder. The owner of the cylinder suffered minor injuries.