This pot of food left unattended in a Ward St. apartment could have caused a more serious fire

Nelson fire department responds to burning pot

A burning pot in a Ward St. apartment this morning brought Nelson Fire and Rescue out.

A burning pot in a Ward St. apartment this morning brought Nelson Fire and Rescue out.

Capt. Jeff Hebert says the call came just before 10:50 a.m. from a business that reported smelling smoke.

They quickly determined the smoke wasn’t coming from the business, but from an apartment several storeys above the caller who reported it.

Once crews got into the apartment, they found a smoke-filled room and a pot of food on the stove with the burner on maximum.

The smoke alarm was connected but not functioning. Early notification to the fire department was a key factor in avoiding a more serious fire loss, Hebert said.

“Year after year, stove/range top burners prove to be the leading cause of residential fires in British Columbia,” he said.

“Nelson Fire and Rescue Services remind everyone to ensure that smoke alarms are working and to never leave a stove top burner unattended while cooking.”

 

Just Posted

Kaslo bus fueled by vegetable oil to begin service next month

Mountain Man Mike’s will run routes to Vancouver and eventually Edmonton

KAST receives $15,000 for inclusive programs at Nelson Tech Club

‘These programs will be a perfect introduction to using technology’

Nelson to send two musicians to provincial Festival of The Arts

Lucas Alexander and Nico Bucher will compete in Chilliwack later this month

Police investigating felling of old cedars at Cottonwood Lake

One of the cedars was 300 to 450 years old

UPDATE: B.C. pilot killed in Honduras plane crash

The crash happened in the Roatan Islands area, according to officials

Rescue crews still searching for Okanagan kayaker last seen three days ago

71-year-old Zygmunt Janiewicz was reported missing Friday

B.C. VIEWS: Reality of our plastic recycling routine exposed

Turns out dear old China wasn’t doing such a great job

Carbon dioxide at highest levels for over 2.5 million years, expert warns of 100 years of disruption

CO2 levels rising rapidly, now higher than at any point in humanity’s history

B.C. ferry stops to let black bear swim past near Nanaimo

Queen of Oak Bay brakes for wildlife in Nanaimo’s Departure Bay

Mother dead, child in critical condition after carbon monoxide poisoning at Shuswap campground

The woman was found unresponsive insider her tent and the youth was taken via air ambulance to hospital

Canada’s parole officers say correctional system has reached breaking point

About half of Canada’s federal parole officers work inside penitentiaries and correctional institutions

Montreal researchers create audible hockey puck for visually impaired players

Three years ago, Gilles Ouellet came up with the idea for a puck that makes a continuous sound

Former B.C. Greyhound bus drivers head to Penticton for goodbye party

Big bash runs until Sunday, funded by drink cans left behind on busses over the years

Most Read