Nelson Fire Rescue extinguished a brush fire near the Nelson Waldorf School on Friday afternoon

Nelson Fire Rescue extinguished a brush fire near the Nelson Waldorf School on Friday afternoon

Nelson Fire Rescue extinguishes wildfire near Waldorf School

The fire department say the fire was caused by an unattended campfire.

While Nelson was sweltering with temperatures upwards of 34 degrees Celsius, Nelson Fire Rescue extinguished a small brush fire which they believe was caused by unattended campfire near the Nelson Waldorf School on Friday.

At 3:44 p.m. the fire department responded to a report of a brush fire that was too large to be put out by the people who discovered it. Both on duty members responded immediately with three additional members responding from home.

Upon arrival of the first crew the fire was slowly moving on the forest floor. Their primary objective was to contain the fire and keep it from spreading. Crews had to extend hose approximately three hundred feet up the hill into the bush to reach the area that was burning.

A written statement from the fire department says the fire appears to have originated as a result of an unattended campfire and burned approximately one hundred square feet of forest cover.

Nelson Fire Rescue responded to the incident with one fire engine, one tender truck, and one utility vehicle.  No injuries were reported as a result of this incident, which was the 592 call this year.

Nelson Fire Rescue Services would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to be especially careful with hot objects in the interface area. Within Nelson city limits there there is a ban on fires, fireworks, sky lanterns, and similar objects.

This comes on the tails of a fire extinguished by a Southeast Fire Centre initial attack crew on top of Pulpit Rock on Monday. The Southeast Fire Centre has various burning bans due to high forest fire hazard potential; however, small campfires are permitted. For complete details, visit bcwildfire.ca.