Nelson Fire Department helped clear smoke from a house on Gordon Road Tuesday night.

Nelson Fire Department helped clear smoke from a house on Gordon Road Tuesday night.

Nelson firefighters respond to dinnertime disaster

Just after 6 p.m. Tuesday night, the Nelson Fire Department was called to a house in the 800 block of Gordon Road.

Just after 6 p.m. Tuesday night, the Nelson Fire Department was called to a house in the 800 block of Gordon Road.

Smoke alarms were sounding but no one was home and when the first crew arrived the home was filled with smoke.

“A pot with food had been left on the stove unattended which had been removed and placed outside by neighbours,” said Capt. Jeff Herbert in a release issued Wednesday.

The occupants of the home had returned just prior to the fire department. Once on the scene officials used Positive Pressure fans to remove the smoke from the house.

“Nelson Fire Rescue would like to take this opportunity to caution the public on entering smoke filled buildings,” said Herbert. “The opening of doors or windows to gain access to the inside may introduce a flow of oxygen that will fuel the fire and potentially create a more hazardous environment. Please ensure that you do not put yourselves at risk.”

In all, two firefighters responded to the incident with one fire engine.