A pot left on the stove led to the Nelson Fire Department responding.

Nelson firefighters respond to seniors home

A pot left on the stove Thursday evening could have had a direr outcome than burnt food.

A pot left on the stove Thursday evening could have had a direr outcome than burnt food.

The Nelson Fire Department responded to Mountain Lakes assisted living facility at 6:05 p.m. in response to a smoke alarm.

Facility staff reported the cause was from burnt food left on the stove element. The pot had been removed from the stove and no fire broke out.

Upon arrival, the fire crew ensured the safety of residents and proceeded to ventilate the room affected by smoke and smell of burnt food.

There were no injuries or damage to the facility.

“The Nelson Fire Rescue would like to take this opportunity to remind everyone to ensure you have a working smoke alarm and make sure you are present when using the stove,” said Capt. Bob Patton in a news release. “Had there not been a working smoke alarm that apprised staff, the outcome may have been different.”

 

Just Posted

Former Nelson swimmers competing in NCAA

Jordan and Kelsey Andrusak will be rivals in in the Western Athletic Conference

CHECK THIS OUT: Don’t let reading fall by the wayside this summer

Avi Silberstein is the children’s librarian at the Nelson Public Library

Kootenay students learn about lake stewardship

Two hundred and fifty students from around Kootenay Lake participated in the Youth Water Festival

Restoration underway on Nelson cenotaph

The Nelson War Memorial was constructed in 1922

Protesters rally in Victoria over newly approved Trans Mountain pipeline

The Still No Consent! No Trans Mountain! 20 kilometre march will end at Island View Beach

Wildfire burning in coastal forest

A fire beside the Sea to Sky Highway is burning up a steep slope

PHOTOS: Event marks one year since soccer team rescued from Thai cave

Nine players and coach took part in marathon and bike event to help improve conditions at cave

Rock climber dies after fall at Stawamus Chief in Squamish

The man had fallen about 30 metres while climbing in the Grand Wall area

Five B.C. students taken to hospital after playing with vaping device

School district said students were taken to hospital ‘out of an abundance of caution’

Being a pot dealer is not what it used to be

Sunday Big Read: the business of selling marijuana in B.C. is a slow bureaucratic slog

VIDEO: Two more pride flags have been stolen from Langley woman

Lisa Ebenal was “angry” and “fed up” after the latest theft. Then people started showing suppport

B.C. couple who has raised 58 children turns to community amid cancer diagnosis

Family who raised, fostered and adopted many kids hoping to gain some precious together time to fight cancer

Canucks acquire forward J.T. Miller from Lightning

J.T. Miller, 26, had 13 goals and 34 assists for the Lightning last season

Most Read