Just before midnight on Friday, Nelson City Police were called to the SpiritBar in the Hume Hotel regarding a medical issue.
When officers arrived they found a 21-year-old man unconscious directly outside the bar being tended to by friends. An ambulance was called and the male was transported to Kootenay Lake Hospital.
The investigation revealed that the male had suffered an overdose of ecstasy (MDMA).
Police are reminding the public that numerous serious cases of ecstasy overdoses have recently occurred in British Columbia, three resulting in deaths. Seizures, brain damage and death are the possible consequences of the consumption of ecstasy.
As of Monday morning police were not sure of the condition of the young man, but say the case is not a fatality.