Nelson city council wants to make zoning changes to allow for its new rules on short term rentals (STRs). Whenever there is a proposed zoning change, a public hearing is required. The hearing for the STR changes will be held at 6 p.m. on Monday, December 4, at city hall.
The proposed zoning amendment bylaw would do the following:
- delete the definition for bed and breakfast and add a definition for STR;
- add revised definitions for home occupation, guest home, room, and suite;
- add new regulations for STRs pertaining to business licensing, parking, ownership and operation, signage, number of guests, and number of STRs per lot;
- change the name of the R6 zone from Bed and Breakfast Zone to Guest Room and Suite Zone;
- add STRs as permitted uses in R1, R2, R3, R4, R6, MU2, MU3, MU4, CD1, and CD6.
Before 4 p.m. on the day of the hearing, citizens who wish to be heard may send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org, drop off written concerns at city hall at 310 Ward St., or appear in person at the hearing and speak directly to council.
At a public hearing, council simply hears speakers’ concerns and does not ask questions or discuss.
In its regular meeting following the public hearing on the same evening, council will make a decision on the bylaw.
The proposed bylaw and a summary of the proposed changes to the rules governing short term rentals are attached below.