A small residential fire caused by a backhoe-struck power line was quickly extinguished by the Nelson Fire Department on Tuesday afternoon.

Residential fire quickly extinguished

Victoria Street blaze caused by downed electrical lines that had been struck by a backhoe.

A small basement fire in the 800 block of Victoria Street was quickly extinguished by the Nelson Fire Department on Tuesday morning just after 11:30 a.m.

“It appears a backhoe struck a power line, pulled it off the house and caused the breaker panel to get really hot,” said Rick Maida, at the scene. The breaker then burst into flames.

Upon arrival at the scene, firefighters saw smoke coming from the basement as well as from downed electrical lines in the yard. Their first priority was to shut off power.

Nelson Hydro was able to quickly oblige, allowing the firefighters to enter the building and extinguish the blaze.

All the house’s occupants were able to safely flee the building after the fire alarm alerted them to the danger.

“There were a number of household items up against there that caught fire, electrical wires. The fire was really quick and they knocked it down. But this is an older home without a lot of fire separation, and with a delay this could have easily spread throughout the rest of the home very quickly,” said Maida.

Due to the proximity of nearby homes, the fire could have spread to neighbouring properties. Maida said the event was a potential crisis averted.

All on-duty firefighters arrived at the scene, and were joined by four off-duty members who responded from home. Chief Len MacCharles said he’s pleased with the outcome.

“The first arriving crew made an aggressive attack, preventing the fire from going beyond the area it began. They did a great job,” he said.

The Nelson Fire Department, BC Safety Authority Electrical Branch and Worksafe BC are all investigating the fire.

 

 

Just Posted

Nelson Leafs’ win marred by dangerous play

Nelson is undefeated through the first five games of the season

VIDEO: SPCA ushers in new era with Castlegar facility

$2.69-million project had ribbon cutting on Friday

Slocan seniors’ housing hosts grand opening Sept. 27

The society wants to give the public a glimpse before tenants move in and the weather changes.

LETTERS: Tom Fletcher analysis is as outdated as the Edsel

Dona grace-Campbell takes issue with columnist Tom Fletcher’s column on the carbon tax

VIDEO: Lydia Kania is here to skunk you

The Vallican track athlete has turned to cribbage in her senior years

B.C. students send books to displaced students of Hornby Island school fire

Maple Ridge elementary school teacher says students learned about acts of kindness

WHL: Kootenay Ice drop Calgary Hitmen 5-3 in home opener

Youth take centre stage as Kootenay explodes for three second-period goals

Trump drains oxygen from Trudeau foreign policy with PM, Freeland bound for UN

A lot has changed since the Liberals came to power in Canada in 2015

B.C. man fined $15,000, barred from trading securities for fraud

Larry Keith Davis used money from an investor to pay personal bills

Emergency crews investigate small sulphuric acid spill in Kootenays

IRM states a small volume of less than one cup and three dime-sized drips were leaked from carrier

Family, friends of B.C murder victim want killer sent back to max security facility

Group wants convicted murderer Walter Ramsay sent back to a maximum security facility

B.C. VIEWS: Looking under the hood of ICBC’s war on crashes

Is our accident rate really soaring, or is it inefficiency?

Most Read