It appears the resident had been using butane gas inside the unit leading to the explosion. However, police and fire officials continue to investigate this incident. Photo: Nelson Fire and Rescue Services

It appears the resident had been using butane gas inside the unit leading to the explosion. However, police and fire officials continue to investigate this incident. Photo: Nelson Fire and Rescue Services

Rosemont explosion sends resident to hospital

Injuries are minor, fire department warns about using flammable gases indoors

On the afternoon of Dec. 15, Nelson Fire and Rescue Services responded to a report of an explosion at a residential complex near Selkirk College Silver King Campus, according to a news release.

“On arrival police and fire crews saw a door that had blown off the unit with all windows broken and blown outwards,” the news release states. “There was no fire other than some cloth materials burning outside the home.”

The explosion caused minor structural damage to the unit and the lone resident was transported to the hospital with apparent minor injuries.

It appears the resident had been using butane gas inside the unit leading to the explosion. However, police and fire officials continue to investigate this incident.

Nelson Fire and Rescue Services would like to remind residents that this incident had the potential to be far more serious and that using any kind of flammable liquid such as camping gas, gasoline or compressed gasses such as butane or propane inside a building can have very serious consequences. These products must only be used outside in well ventilated spaces.