Man Waiting is one of five sculptures in Nelson’s downtown put up this past spring as a public art project sponsored by the City of Nelson. It was located in the amenity area in the 400 block of Baker Street. It was damaged on Friday and had to be taken down.

Sculpture in Nelson’s downtown damaged and removed

Nelson’s downtown sculpture collection is a man down after Sergio Raffo’s Man Waiting was removed on Friday.

Nelson’s downtown sculpture collection is a man down after Sergio Raffo’s Man Waiting was removed on Friday.

“It was damaged unfortunately,” said Nelson’s cultural development officer Joy Barrett. “We’re not entirely sure what happened, but the lower elbow of the guy in the sculpture was totally chipped off. It didn’t look that bad, but it affected the stability so we had to take it down because there was a chance if somebody did that again the whole thing would topple.”

Man Waiting is one of five sculptures in Nelson’s downtown put up this past spring as a public art project sponsored by the City of Nelson. It was located in the amenity area in the 400 block of Baker Street.

Raffo is a Kaslo-based artist whose creation was a man standing on his head with a ball balancing at his feet. The sculpture itself is over seven feet tall so the damage posed a safety risk.

Barrett said the sculpture looks like it is made of metal, but it’s constructed of a more fragile stoneware which could have been part of the problem.

“That specific amenity area is a busy one, but I doubt whether anybody did it on purpose,” said Barrett.

Raffo is coming to Nelson to pick up the sculpture and Barrett hopes it can be repaired and put back in place.

Meanwhile, Barrett said the response to the public sculptures so far this summer has been positive.

“It’s been amazing,” said Barrett. “People are really excited to have public art in the downtown. We always bill ourselves as an arts town, but there isn’t a lot of public art in the city. People have been happy to see it.”

The City is planning an event on the September 27-29 weekend to coincide with the nationally observed Culture Days. The hope is to have the artists in town to talk about their pieces — which are for public sale — and answers questions.

 

The plan is to swap out the downtown sculptures with a new batch in 2014.

 

 

Just Posted

Leafs add 2 players at KIJHL trade deadline

Nelson also traded defenceman Tyson Soobotin to Castlegar

VIDEO: Kootenay drug users fight stigma with video series

The multi-part series from ANKORS is meant to align with the goals of the Nelson Fentanyl Task Force

Nelson police warn of counterfeit money in city

The department says it has received multiple reports of fake Canadian and U.S. cash

Nelson library asks city for 2 per cent funding increase

The increase would cover inflation, increased use, stagnant provincial funding, and a negotiated wage increase

Trail cannabis shop gets green light from province

The Higher Path hopes to open doors in next couple of weeks

VIDEO: Monday Roundup

The Star’s weekly news roundup

Indigenous energy summit includes session on pipeline ownership options

Steven Saddleback of the Indian Resource Council says a session will feature presentations on financing models

Japanese grand champion Kisenosato retires from sumo

The 32-year-old Kisenosato was the first Japanese-born wrestler in 19 years to gain promotion to sumo’s highest rank

UPDATE: Accused B.C. high school killer found fit to stand trial

Gabriel Klein is accused in the 2016 stabbing death of Letisha Reimer at Abbotsford Senior Secondary

Right-wing, neo-Nazi, white supremacist groups an increasing concern: Goodale

Ten people died in April 2018 when Alek Minassian allegedly drove a rental van down the busy stretch in Toronto

Canadian stock exchanges to conduct lottery for ‘POT’ ticker amid high demand

The symbol became available after fertilizer Potash Corp. officially merged with Agrium Inc. in early 2018

Millennial Money: Don’t let Instagram envy get you into debt

A full 48 per cent of U.S. households have credit card debt

Jury debates fate of man accused of killing 12-year-old B.C. girl 40 years ago

Police allege Garry Handlen told a cop how he abducted, sexually assaulted and strangled Monica Jack in May 1978

Most Read