Trafalgar Middle School’s planned closure is now being reviewed by School District 8. File photo

SD8 rethinking closure of Trafalgar Middle School

The district says public consultations are meant to find alternative solutions

Plans to tear down Trafalgar Middle School are being reconsidered by School District 8.

Michael McLellan, the district’s secretary-treasurer and chief financial officer, told the Star the previous facilities plan in 2016 calling for Trafalgar’s closure and replacement with a new South Nelson Elementary is under review because the district is not sure it will obtain capital funding from the Ministry of Education.

“The premise for the Trafalgar school being torn down and replaced by a new South Nelson was predicated on the belief that when that earlier facilities plan was done there would be replacement funding under a different envelope of funding. It doesn’t look like to be available right now,” said McLellan.

“We might be looking at alternative plans for Trafalgar like renovating it or other things, and of course we want public input on that process as well for what might be done instead of tearing it down and rebuilding it.”

The first round of public consultation earlier this year was aimed at finding solutions for the aging schools, with more public meetings planned for the summer as part of the district’s 2019-29 facilities plan.

Trafalgar, which opened in 1928, was originally scheduled for closure by June 2017. All Nelson elementary schools were to be converted to carry kindergarten to Grade 7, and L.V. Rogers would be changed to include Grades 8 to 12. Salmo Elementary was also set to close and fold into Salmo Secondary.

The district has, however, been given the green light by the ministry to develop plans for a possible expansion to Blewett Elementary.

McLelland said Blewett is at 147 per cent capacity, and internal projections show the school’s catchment’s population will continue to grow. He cautioned, however, that the expansion, as it was with the facilities plan, is not a given without provincial funding.

“There’s no guarantee, but it’s the next step and a very important step toward ultimately getting ministry approval for the project.”

Meanwhile, the district announced Monday that it had received $2.4 million in provincial funding. The money will be used to upgrade windows and doors at Hume Elementary, upgrade a dust collector at LVR and renovate floors at various schools.

SD8 is also receiving seven new buses as part of a $13 million provincial funding plan that is adding 81 new buses across B.C.

Related:

Kootenay Lake school district delays closures

12 things you (probably) didn’t know about Nelson’s Trafalgar school



tyler.harper@nelsonstar.com

Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter

Just Posted

Andrew Bellerby out as RDCK’s regional fire chief

Bellerby held the job since January 2016

LETTER: Slash and burn eyesores

From reader Tony Holland

VIDEO: Human-sized insects and a huge peach take over Nelson’s Capitol Theatre stage

Summer youth production James and the Giant Peach runs July 25 to 27

Annual Columbia Basin Culture tour coming up Aug 10 and 11

There are locations across the region participating

Craft cannabis development planned for Castlegar

Plans are underway for one of the first craft cannabis industrial parks in the province.

Joaquin ‘El Chapo’ Guzman sentenced to life in prison

Experts say he will likely wind up at the federal government’s Supermax prison in Florence, Colorado

Injured humpback returns to waters near Comox a year later

Photographer spotted Ocular near Comox again and noticed the whale has been healing

Will you be celebrating national hotdog day with any of these crazy flavours?

The popularity of hotdogs spans generations, cultures

Former home of accused Penticton shooter vandalized

Ex-wife of man who is accused of murdering four people had her house vandalized

Survivor of near-drowning in B.C. lake viewing life through new eyes

“If I died that day, the baby wouldn’t know his dad,” said 31-year-old Mariano Santander-Melo.

‘Beyond the call’: Teen in police custody gets birthday surprise by B.C. Mountie

Unusual celebration started when Staff Sgt. Paul Vadik went to visit the teen in his Coquitlam cell

Thunderstorms forecast across B.C.

Environment Canada has issued a thunderstorm watch for B.C.’s central Interior

B.C. mom to go to Europe court in hopes of getting alleged abducted daughter back

Tasha Brown alleges her estranged wife abducted their daughter Kaydance Etchells in 2016

Driver who killed B.C. motorcyclist receives absolute discharge

Chase family speechless following decision by BC Review Board

Most Read