A second ammonia leak at the Nelson Curling Club was detected Tuesday night. File photo

A second ammonia leak at the Nelson Curling Club was detected Tuesday night. File photo

Second ammonia leak at Nelson Curling Club

Nelson Fire and Rescue says it was a minor event

An ammonia leak at the Nelson Curling Club, the second this year, is being described as a minor by Nelson Fire and Rescue.

Assistant fire chief Mike Daloise said the leak was detected May 28. Although the leak set off alarms throughout the building as well as within the Civic Centre, he said the incident was contained to the club’s ice plant room.

The club has been shut down since February when the first leak was detected. Curling club president Gordon Wiess said all ammonia was removed from the ice plant’s system.

“That was a step we had to take anyway, we just didn’t have the funding to start,” said Wiess. “So now all the ammonia has been evacuated from the system, so it’s 100 per cent safe.”

The club expects to be operating again by next fall after the city voted to approve up to $30,000 in emergency funding to fix the plant. The total cost is estimated to be $70,000.

An ammonia leak at a Fernie rink in October 2017 killed three people.

Related: