A quick-thinking 14-year-old boy prevented a structure fire from getting out of control Sunday in Crescent Valley.
Fire chief Glenn Leidloff said a wood stove burned the side of a wall in a Chatfield Road garage. The teen “was packing snow on it and basically kept the fire at bay until we showed up and put it out,” Leidloff said, praising the “resourceful” youth for doing most of the work. “He did a really good job.”
Damage to the detached garage was described as “fairly minor.”
The fire came less than two days after a major structure fire destroyed a home on Konkin Road, injuring the occupant.
Leidloff said they have also had a rash of chimney fires since just before Christmas. They were mostly contained within the chimneys, but the potential exists for them to spread.
“Right now is a great time to check your chimney because of the fluctuations in the weather,” Leidloff said. “Check the creosote build up before anything serious happens. Don’t neglect to look at your chimneys.”