Nelson Fire Rescue responded to three fires on the weekend.

Three fires in Nelson on the weekend

Nelson Fire Rescue responded to three fires on the weekend, including a small blaze at the Husky gas station on Nelson Avenue.

Nelson Fire Rescue responded to three fires on the weekend, including a small blaze at the Husky gas station on Nelson Avenue.

The first was on Saturday in a wood pile that was stacked close to a house.  The officer on shift responded in an engine and assisted the owner with extinguishing the fire.

It is suspected that carelessly discarded smoking material was the cause.

On Sunday crews responded to back to back fires.  The first fire was reported as smoke coming from a garbage can at Lion’s Park.  An officer responded in an engine  and was able to extinguish the fire using a small amount of water. Upon investigation it was determined that someone had dumped their barbeque briquettes in the garbage and they had started the rest of the materials in the can on fire.

As crews were finishing cleaning up from the garbage can call a report was received of a fire with large flames at the Husky Station on Nelson Avenue in a planter, approximately 10 feet from the pumps.  The on-duty crew responded with an additional member called in from home.

When the initial crew arrived a small fire was observed in the planter box that was up against the building.  The fire was quickly knocked down and crews checked to confirm that there was no extension to the interior of the building.  The cause of the fire was determined to be carelessly discarded smoking material.

Although the damage estimate for these three fires was minimal the potential for the fires to have spread to the structures was significant.

In addition to the three fires Nelson Fire Rescue also responded to numerous other medical and public service calls on the weekend.

As wildfire season approaches Nelson Fire Rescue reminds everyone that cigarettes should only be discarded in appropriate fire safe containers and that the material from your barbeque or fireplace should always be put in a fire proof container and wet down.  Never put these materials in your garbage.

Just Posted

10 RDCK incumbents seek re-election

Most rural directors want another term

Slocan Valley added to communities on flooding evac alert

Kootenay Lake is expected to reach flooding level in Nelson by Friday

Police searching for Nelson man

Brent Mickelson hasn’t been heard from since February

UPDATED: Hwy 3 west of Creston remains closed due to mudslide

A detour is available on the Kootenay Lake Ferry, but commuters could see wait times

Local police recognized for work

Eight officers were honoured for removing impaired drivers

VIDEO: Canadian Forces help flood-ravaged Grand Forks residents heal

Sgt. Bradley Lowes says the military is used to dealing with traumatic times

Chilliwack Chiefs make history with first RBC Cup win

In front of a huge and noisy crowd, the Chiefs claimed their first-ever national junior A title.

UPDATED: Majority of flood evacuees in Kootenay-Boundary allowed to return home

Officials hope to have all 3,000 people back in their homes by Monday night

B.C. Lions bring back 6-time all-star offensive lineman Jovan Olafioye

He was acquired by the Montreal Alouettes last year.

Whitecaps rally for 2-2 draw with FC Dallas

Vancouver climbed out of a two-nil hole to tie FC Dallas 2-2

B.C. VIEWS: Making sense of climate policy

Flood and fire predictions have poor track record so far

Chilliwack Chiefs moving on to RBC Cup final after thrilling win over Ottawa

Kaden Pickering scored the winning goal in the 3rd period as Chilliwack won their semi-final 3-2.

VIDEO: As floodwaters recede, crews assess the damage to Grand Forks’ downtown

More than four dozen firefighters and building inspectors came out to help

Wellington Dukes pull off epic upset of Wenatchee at RBC Cup

The Dukes are off to the championship game after downing the Wild 2-1 Saturday at Prospera Centre.

Most Read