Clean up crews were on Ward Street Wednesday afternoon after an apparent ammonia spill that forced the evacuation of the Hume Hotel.

UPDATED: Ammonia-like fumes cause Nelson hotel evacuation

Nelson's Hume Hotel was evacuated around 11:30 this morning after a "rush of heavy ammonia smell."

Nelson’s Hume Hotel was evacuated around 11:30 this morning after a “rush of heavy ammonia smell.”

Fire chief Simon Grypma says his crews responded to a report of an unknown substance leaking in the lane behind the hotel. Upon arriving it was determined the vapor was escaping from a damaged cylinder in the back of a pick-up truck. The cylinder had been removed from the basement of the Redfish Grill, the Baker Street building that has been recently undergoing clean-up and repairs following a 2010 fire.

The truck’s operator was told to take the cylinder to an area away from people and let it finish venting, Grypma said.

Hume Hotel General manager Ryan Martin told the Star their HVAC unit sucked some of the fumes into the hotel.

“It was very potent, very strong,” Martin said. “We initially didn’t know where it was coming from so we pulled the fire alarm and evacuated the hotel. We opened all the doors and had people wait outside for the air to clear.”

Martin said Nelson police chief Wayne Holland happened to be at the hotel for lunch. Paramedics also responded and Ward Street was blocked off between Baker and Vernon. Public works crews spread sand on the street and helped clean up the chemical product on the ground.

The smell dissipated and the hotel reopened within about an hour, but two workers on the Redfish clean-up went to hospital for decontamination and evaluation along with four Hume employees.

“The staff in the lower kitchen probably got the worst of it,” Martin said. “Any staff feeling symptoms have gone home, but the majority of us didn’t get it as bad.”

Martin said the fire department, paramedics, and Hume staff did a good job of dealing with the situation. “You can never fully prepare for things like that.”

Grypma said the incident serves as a reminder that anyone who finds items that may be hazardous should contact the fire department before dismantling or moving them.

WorkSafeBC is investigating the incident.

Just Posted

Nelson firefighter wage negotiations in year six

Firefighting is an essential service, so strikes are illegal

EcoSociety asks city to become 100 per cent renewable

The plan would have Nelson ditch fossil fuels by 2050

Finding support at Community Connect

The 10th annual event offered free services, clothing and food on Saturday

RDCK calls for reversal of Sinixt extinction

The board opposed a land transfer to the Westbank First Nation this week

Nelson city council to update banner policy

Council will revisit the wording of the policy at its December meeting

RDCK holds open house on proposed boat launch

RDCK hosted an open house at Blewett Elementary to discuss plans for a boat launch at Taghum Beach

LVR Bombers volleyball team off to provincials

The senior girls’ squad secured a spot with a win over Trail last week

Winter kicks off in Nelson

Over 30 events are set to celebrate the snowy season

Man pleads guilty to Leafs recycling depot theft

Dezmond Waggoner had been charged with theft over $5,000

Education minister blasts Chilliwack school trustee on gender issues

Fleming calls Neufeld’s behaviour ‘shameful’ and ‘unacceptable’

Most Read