Canfor and Porcupine Wood Products are expected to split the Meadow Creek Cedar forest license.

UPDATED: Canfor buys Meadow Creek Cedar license

Porcupine Wood Products is expected to acquire 60 per cent of the timber volume.

Canfor has acquired the troubled Meadow Creek Cedar forest license.

District forests manager Garth Wiggill was unavailable for an interview this week, but the ministry confirmed Canfor bought the license, which has an annual allowable cut of 96,513 cubic meters.

The ministry also said $251,000 in outstanding debts to the Crown were settled during the transfer, and Canfor will assume Meadow Creek Cedar’s outstanding obligations on the land base.

However, the property in Cooper Creek where Meadow Creek Cedar’s sawmill burned down in 2014 remains under the ownership of Dale Kooner.

Canfor spokeswoman Corinne Stavness said they have an agreement to sell approximately 60 per cent of the tenure volume to Porcupine Wood Products of Salmo, subject to government approval, and will retain the remaining 40 per cent for their own use.

The purchase price was not disclosed.

Canfor previously owned the now-demolished sawmill at Slocan, but its closest sawmills are now in Radium and Elko. Canfor shut down a Canal Flats operation last month. It purchased all three mills from Tembec three years ago.

The Meadow Creek Cedar license has twice been placed on cancellation notice due to mismanagement, but the order was lifted pending the sale.

“It is very unfortunate that the sale does not include the mill, which means we will be seeing the logs shipped right out of the area, losing any local employment opportunities for processing,” said rural Kaslo regional district director Aimee Watson.

“In an economically depressed area that was further damaged by the management of this license, the sale of the tenure without the mill is not good news.”

Still, Watson said she and Kaslo mayor Suzan Hewat are eager to meet the new owners to discuss their plans regarding both jobs and management of the tenure.

“We still hope to see the tenure properly managed and that the resources pulled from the area provide an economic benefit to the people of North Kootenay Lake,” she said.

Just Posted

LETTER: Time to roll back power prices

FortisBC is overcharging customers, Andy Shadrack argues

Taekwondo is a family obsession at Nelson’s Yom Chi Martial Arts

The Jordahls have found success with their Baker Street dojang

Nelson city hall will fly Pride flag this year

Council will develop a policy for future flag decisions

Louise Baxter found after 72 hour search

Cranbrook hiker had been missing since Sunday, August 12, near Jumbo Pass.

VIDEO: Happy birthday Kaslo

Village marks 125th birthday with reopening of city hall, sealing of time capsule

Updated: ‘Queen of Soul’ Aretha Franklin has died

Publicist Gwendolyn Quinn reports Franklin passed Thursday at 9:50 a.m. at her home in Detroit

Behind the fire line: B.C. firefighters stalked by cougars

A Keremeos volunteer firefighter talks about what it was like to patrol the Snowy Mountain fire

Woman in custody after topless crane climb near Toronto waterfront

Toronto police have apprehend a woman who climbed crane cab near waterfront

‘Hot and dirty work:’ Commander describes fighting massive Ontario wildfire

Ontario has seen more than 1,000 forest fires so far this year, compared to 561 in all of 2017.

‘Billion-piece jigsaw puzzle:’ Canadians key to 1st complete map of wheat genome

The paper has 202 authors from 73 research agencies in 20 countries.

70 years after Babe Ruth’s death, fans still flock to grave

After Ruth died of throat cancer at age 53, tens of thousands of fans came to pay respects

Airbnb’s federal budget proposal tells Liberals, ‘we want to be regulated’

Submission says ‘we want to be regulated’ and asks the government to avoid forcing existing rules

Greens won’t run candidate in Burnaby South as ‘leader’s courtesy’ to Singh: May

Green Leader Elizabeth May says the decision is an extension of a ‘leader’s courtesy’

UPDATED: B.C. RCMP dismantle Kinder Morgan protest camp

RCMP say they will enforce a court injunction today and remove Trans Mountain pipeline protesters who have been camped outside a Kinder Morgan terminal in Burnaby.

Most Read