UPDATED: Nelson rec complex worker burned by ammonia

An employee at the Nelson and District Community Complex was taken to hospital last night to be treated for burns caused by ammonia.

An employee at the Nelson and District Community Complex was taken to hospital last night to be treated for burns caused by ammonia.

Nelson Fire Rescue Services responded to a call of a possible ammonia leak at about 10:30 p.m.

Upon arriving, they found a few members of the public gathered at the front entrance, complaining of a strong smell of ammonia in the building. The whereabouts of one staff member was unknown, and a search of the arena was launched.

He was subsequently found to have already been taken to hospital, seeking treatment for burns caused by ammonia.

Fire crews determined the fumes were coming from a large container of diluted ammonia outside. An unknown amount spilled near the building’s air intake, and the fumes spread inside.

Firefighters wearing hazmat suits and air tanks retrieved the solution, and in consultation with the Ministry of Environment and complex staff, neutralized the material and disposed of it.

Crews were on the scene until 3 a.m.

Stuart Horn, chief administrator of the Regional District of Central Kootenay, which operates the facility, said the problem was in a leaking condenser, which has been shut down and will be repaired. Horn said they were already in the process of awarding a contract for a system that shuts down ventilation after a leak. A similar system already exists indoors.

“If there’s a leak inside the refrigeration room, it happens automatically,” Horn said. “The condenser outside doesn’t have that function. This pushes things along for sure.”

Horn said they don’t know why the condenser leaked — it could have been faulty or age-related. They are still trying to determine the cause. The refrigeration unit has two sides, each of which can run independently. The faulty unit has been shut down and the leak stopped.

The employee who was injured is believed to have suffered burns to his face, but Horn wasn’t sure how severe they were. When the incident occurred, the arena was still open as some recreational hockey teams were wrapping up a game, but the rest of the building was closed, with only cleaning staff on hand.

Horn said ammonia is “primarily an irritant,” and so long as those who used the building yesterday left feeling fine, there should be no delayed symptoms from exposure to the fumes.

“If they’re fine now, the concern is gone. The exposure would have been minimal, but we don’t want to dismiss it if someone left with a headache.”

It’s the second time this week that Nelson fire crews have responded to a chemical leak. On Monday, they cordoned off a section of Vernon St. while responding to a home where nitric acid was discovered. Three people were taken to hospital.

Just Posted

Nelson Leafs’ win marred by dangerous play

Nelson is undefeated through the first five games of the season

VIDEO: SPCA ushers in new era with Castlegar facility

$2.69-million project had ribbon cutting on Friday

Slocan seniors’ housing hosts grand opening Sept. 27

The society wants to give the public a glimpse before tenants move in and the weather changes.

LETTERS: Tom Fletcher analysis is as outdated as the Edsel

Dona grace-Campbell takes issue with columnist Tom Fletcher’s column on the carbon tax

VIDEO: Lydia Kania is here to skunk you

The Vallican track athlete has turned to cribbage in her senior years

VIDEO: B.C.-born firefighter remembered by MP in emotional speech

Family asks first responders to look after one another in wake of suicide, growing concerns of PTSD

Airline has ‘close call’ with drone while en route to B.C. airport

Jazz Aviation reported the drone sighting near Vancouver to the RCMP and Transport Canada

Tragic accident claims life of B.C. toddler

Fundraising effort has been created to help mom and family

B.C. nanny charged with sex abuse of 3 children

Saanich Police seek potential victims of Johnathon Lee Robichaud from Central Saanich

‘I’m no quitter’ on climate change issues, McKenna says at G7 ministers meeting

David Suzuki says if McKenna believes what she’s saying, she too should quit

VIDEO: Inside an eerily empty mall in Canada

Only nine of 517 retail spaces are open for business as the grand opening postponed to next year

B.C. wildfires burned large areas affected by mountain pine beetles: Experts

The mountain pine beetle epidemic affected more than 180,000 square kilometres in B.C.

Tens of thousands without power following tornado in Ottawa region

Hydro Ottawa says more than 170,000 customers were without power early this morning

Most Read