Fire crews finish cleanup of a house fire on Taghum Beach Saturday morning.

UPDATED: Taghum fire was grow-op site

Police say a house that burned Saturday morning in Taghum had a grow-op in the basement.



Police say a house that burned Saturday morning in Taghum had a grow-op in the basement.

Blewett and Beasley fire crews responded to the call about 7:40 a.m. in the 5900 block of Smith Road. Upon arrival, they found the house totally engulfed in flames.

“The lone resident had been awoken by his screaming cat,” Sgt. Darryl Little said in a news release. “The homeowner managed to escape through the rear door. The cat, however, failed to make it out.”

The 64-year-old man was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation and was released later that morning.

The house was severely damaged by the fire, which doesn’t appear suspicious.

However, police and the fire departments found what they believed to be a marijuana grow-op in the basement.

“The fire investigators and insurance company will be examining the scene in greater depth to determine if faulty wiring may have been the cause of the fire,” Little says.

A second grow-op was found in an outbuilding on the property.

RCMP are recommending charges of drug production against the homeowner.

 

Just Posted

Glacier Gymnastics big winner in annual grant funding

Columbia Basin Trust doled out $1.4 million in grants to the regional organizations

Procter working to reopen community bakery

The Procter Community Society is fundraising upwards of $100,000 for the project

Kaslo bus fueled by vegetable oil to begin service next month

Mountain Man Mike’s will run routes to Vancouver and eventually Edmonton

KAST receives $15,000 for inclusive programs at Nelson Tech Club

‘These programs will be a perfect introduction to using technology’

Nelson to send two musicians to provincial Festival of The Arts

Lucas Alexander and Nico Bucher will compete in Chilliwack later this month

‘Teams that win are tight’: B.C. Lions search for chemistry at training camp

The Lions added more than 50 new faces over the off-season, from coaching staff to key players

Growing wildfire prompts evacuation of High Level, Alta.

Chuckegg Creek fire has been burning for several day, but grew substantially Sunday

Top women’s hockey player Natalie Spooner coming to B.C.

Natalie Spooner special guest at annual Grindstone charity weekend in Kelowna

Take-home drug testing kits latest pilot to help curb B.C.’s overdose crisis

Researchers look to see if fentanyl testing could be a useful tool for those who use drugs alone

Facebook takes down anti-vaxxer page that used image of late Canadian girl

Facebook said that the social media company has disabled the anti-vaccination page

Search crews rescue kids, 6 and 7, stranded overnight on Coquitlam mountain

Father and two youngsters fall down a steep, treacherous cliff while hiking Burke Mountain

Raptors beat Bucks 118-112 in 2OT thriller

Leonard has 36 points as Toronto cuts Milwaukee’s series lead to 2-1

Rescue crews suspend search for Okanagan kayaker missing for three days

71-year-old Zygmunt Janiewicz was reported missing Friday

B.C. VIEWS: Reality of our plastic recycling routine exposed

Turns out dear old China wasn’t doing such a great job

Most Read